Faiyum Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Wael Mohamed Nabih Makram |
|• Total||1,827 km2 (705 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
Faiyum Governorate (Arabic: محافظة الفيوم Muḥāfẓet El Fayyūm) is one of the governorates of Egypt in the middle of the country. Its capital is the city of Faiyum, located about 81 mi (130 km) south west of Cairo. It has a population of 3,072,181 (2014).
The name Faiyum comes from Coptic ̀Ⲫⲓⲟⲙ /Ⲡⲉⲓⲟⲙ efiom/peiom (whence the proper name Ⲡⲁⲓⲟⲙ payoum), meaning the Sea or the Lake, which in turn comes from late Egyptian pA y-m of the same meaning, a reference to the nearby Lake Moeris.
The governorate of Faiyum includes:
- The large fertile Faiyum Oasis, which comprises farmland, Lake Moeris, and some cities.
- South of the Faiyum Oasis, a smaller depression contains the town of El Gharaq el Sulţāni. It is also irrigated from the Nile.
- A dry barren depression named Wadi El Rayan, which covers 280 mi² (725 km²), west of the El Gharaq el Sulţāni depression.
- Desert and dry mountains, which mostly surround the depressions.
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in rural areas, with an urbanization rate of only 22.5%. Out of an estimated 3,170,150 people residing in the governorate, 2,456,368 people live in rural areas as opposed to only 713,782 in urban areas. 
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Kom Oshim
- New Kom Oshim
- (New urban community industrial zone) New Fayoum
- Bahr Yussef
- Egyptian Faiyumi
- Faiyum Oasis
- Lake Moeris
- Wadi El Rayan
- Faces of Fayoum are paintings from the 1st century BC to the 3rd century AD.
- "Egypt's Government Governorates Directory". Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Investment Regimes, Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Retrieved 30 October 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Yasser, Nayera (April 30, 2015). "Amna Elshandaweely and Nada Elsonbaty pave ‘Road to Fayoum’". Archived from the original on 22 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "The Fayoum Portraits". Per Ankh Trading. Archived from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Fayoum Governorate Official website