Falco of Benevento
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He is an important chronicler for the years between 1102 and 1139 in the Mezzogiorno. As an historian, he is not only reliable, as he was often an eyewitness to events he recounts, but also partisan, for he was a Lombard by birth and he fiercely opposed the Normans, whom he saw as barbarians. He was an opponent of King Roger II of Sicily, and a supporter of Innocent II against Roger's friend Anacletus II. He was, above all, a patriotic supporter of Benevento. As a supporter of Innocent II, Falco was exiled from Benevento in 1134. T.S. Brown writes that Falco demonstrated "a blazing pride in his city and a vitriolic hate of the Normans."
Parts of his chronicle are now lost, but were apparently used for the year 1099–1103 and 1140–49 in the Chronica Romanorum pontificum et imperatorum ac de rebus in Apulia gestis.
- Chronicon Beneventanum at The Latin Library.
- Chronicon Beneventanum at the Centro Europea di Studi Normanni.
- Mary Stroll (1987). The Jewish Pope: Ideology and Politics in the Papal Schism of 1130. Boston-Leiden: Brill. pp. 72, 87. ISBN 90-04-08590-4.
- Dale, p. 38.
- T. S. Brown, "The Political Use of the Past in Norman Sicily," in: Paul Magdalino, ed. (2010). The Perception of the Past in 12th Century Europe. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 198–200. ISBN 978-0-8264-4152-2.
- Curtis, Edmund (1912). Roger of Sicily and the Normans in Lower Italy, 1016-1154. New York-London: G. P. Putnam's Sons. pp. 324–327, 401.
- Dale, Sharon (2007). Chronicling History: Chroniclers and Historians in Medieval and Renaissance Italy. University Park PA USA: Penn State Press. pp. 36–43. ISBN 0-271-04558-2.
- D'Angelo, Edoardo (1994). "Giuseppe del Re's 'Critical' Edition of Falco of Benevento's Chronicle," in: Marjorie Chibnall, ed. (1994). Proceedings of the Battle Conference 1993. Anglo-Norman Studies, XVI. Woodbridge, Suffolk UK: Boydell & Brewer Ltd. pp. 75–81. ISBN 978-0-85115-366-7.
- Loud, Graham (2014). The Age of Robert Guiscard: Southern Italy and the Northern Conquest. New York: Routledge. pp. 284–285. ISBN 978-1-317-90023-8.
- Norwich, John Julius. The Kingdom in the Sun 1130-1194. Longman: London, 1970.