Bacharou was elected to the National Assembly in the February 1993 parliamentary election as a CDS candidate in Dosso[disambiguation needed] constituency. He then served as Secretary-General of the Presidency under President Mahamane Ousmane. He was the campaign director for the CDS during the January 1995 parliamentary election. After the CDS lost the election, depriving President Ousmane of a parliamentary majority and forcing him to cohabit with the opposition, Bacharou alleged that irregularities had affected the results. Ousmane was ousted a year later in a January 1996 military coup. Bacharou was one of those arrested following an opposition demonstration on January 11, 1997.
Bacharou was elected to the National Assembly in the December 2004 parliamentary election from Dosso, and he was elected as the Second Vice-President of the National Assembly for the parliamentary term that followed.
Bacharou was again elected to the National Assembly in the January 2011 parliamentary election. When the Bureau of the National Assembly was elected in April 2011, the post of Second Vice-President, reserved for the opposition, was left vacant. Subsequently Bacharou was elected as Second Vice-President of the National Assembly.
- Page at the National Assembly of Niger website, archived February 13, 2005 (French).
- "Global Programme for Parliamentary Strengthening II, Mid-Term Evaluation Report" (Appendix Four), United Nations Development Programme, February 2007.
- "Afrique de l'Ouest - Niger - Cour suprême - 1993 - Arrêt no 93-10/cc du 18 mars 1993", droit.francophonie.org (French).
- "Afrique de l'Ouest - Niger - Cour suprême - 1993 - Arrêt no 93-3/cc du 1er février 1993", droit.francophonie.org (French).
- "Les suites de la manifestation du 11 janvier 1997", Afrique Express (French).
- "L'opposition nigérienne aurait gagné de peu les législatives", AFP (liberation.fr), 16 January 1995 (French).
- List of deputies elected in the 2004 election by constituency, National Assembly website (2005 archive) (French).
- Yahaya Garba, "6ème congrès de la CDS-Rahama: Un congrès expéditif et sans enjeu", Roue de l’Histoire n° 368, September 5, 2007 (Tamtaminfo.com, September 6, 2007) (French).
- "Arrêt n° 009/11/CCT/ME du 16 mars 2011", Transitional Constitutional Council, 16 March 2011 (French).
- Mahaman Bako, "Assemblée nationale : mise en place du Bureau de l'Assemblée", Le Sahel, 22 April 2011 (French).
- "Assemblée nationale : les membres du Bureau de l'Assemblée reconduits pour un nouveau mandat d'un an", Le Sahel, 23 April 2012 (French).