Falkland Islands general election, 2009
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Falkland Islands
The Falkland Islands general election of 2009 was held on Thursday 5 November 2009 to elect members to the Legislative Assembly. It was the first general election in the Falkland Islands since the new constitution came into force on 1 January 2009, which replaced the old Legislative Council with the Legislative Assembly. Chief Executive Tim Thorogood acted as Returning Officer.
Eight MLAs were elected through universal suffrage using block voting, five from the Stanley constituency and three from the Camp constituency. Each elector in Stanley could vote for five candidates, and in Camp each elector could vote for three candidates. In total 4,989 votes were cast in the election, relating to a turnout of 1,232 (77.7% of the electorate). As no political parties are active on the Islands, all the candidates stood as nonpartisans. The election result was said to be an 'upset' as none of the incumbent MLAs kept their seat.
Candidates in bold were elected. Candidates in italic were incumbents.
- Watson, Lisa (4 November 2009). "Falkland Islands votes on Thursday for new Legislative Assembly". MercoPress. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Record Turnout in First Falklands Election Held Under New Constitution" (PDF). Falkland Islands Government. 6 November 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Watson, Lisa (6 November 2009). "Sweeping changes in Falkland Islands general election". MercoPress. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Brock, J. (6 November 2009). "Falklands Election - Stanley Constituency Upset". South Atlantic Remote Territories Media Association. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Brock, J. (6 November 2009). "Falklands' Camp Constituency Final Tally". South Atlantic Remote Territories Media Association. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
|This Falkland Islands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South American election-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|