Falkland Islands national cricket team
|Association||Falkland Islands Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international|| Falkland Islands v. Chile |
(Santiago, Chile; February 2004)
|As of 4 September 2015|
The team is organised by the Falkland Islands Cricket Association (FICA), which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) on 29 June 2007 (although Argentina abstained from the vote admitting it as a member) and became an associate member in 2017. The Falkland Islands played its first international match in February 2004, playing against Chile in Santiago. The team did not make its debut in an ICC-sanctioned tournament until June 2010, when it took part in the 2010 Americas Championship Division Four event in Mexico. The following year, the Falklands played in the 2011 Americas Twenty20 Division Three tournament in Costa Rica, losing all five of its matches. The territory currently has only a single cricket pitch, located on Mount Pleasant Airfield Oval, which hampers the national team's ability to participate internationally. As of August 2010[update], there were plans to construct the islands' second cricket pitch, to be built in the capital Stanley.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between the Falkland Islands and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Nixon, Andrew (29 June 2007). "New members for the ICC". CricketEurope. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Clinton Porteous (9 February 2004). "Falklands cricketers play abroad" – BBC News. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Other matches played by Falkland Islands – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Munro, Tony (12 August 2010). "A festival of cricket for the Falklands". Falkland Islands: espncricinfo. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
|This article about a cricket team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Falkland Islands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|