Falling in Between
|Falling in Between|
|Studio album by Toto|
|Released||February 14, 2006 (Europe)
April 18, 2006 (USA)
|Genre||Hard rock, pop rock, progressive rock, jazz fusion|
Falling in Between is the 12th studio album (though counted as the 13th album overall - see Toto XIV) by American rock band, Toto. The album was released in February 2006 on the Italian label Frontiers Records, with a world tour to follow. It was the band's first studio release since Through the Looking Glass in 2002, and the first to include keyboardist/vocalist Greg Phillinganes. Phillinganes originally began playing with Toto as a touring replacement for David Paich, who had retired from the road. Another Porcaro brother, Steve, helped found the group and continues to work in the studio with the band, though he quit as a full-time member following the Fahrenheit album in 1987. Similarly, Lenny Castro has never been a member of the group, but has consistently contributed to their recordings since their first album, in 1978.
Other guest artists appearing on the album include then-former Toto singer Joseph Williams, saxophonist Tom Scott, Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, Chicago trombonist James Pankow, and Jason Scheff, also from Chicago.
Allmusic's review of the album was generally derisive, accusing Toto of creating little more than imitations of other bands, claiming that they don't find their footing until halfway through, and even going so far as to describe the album as "a band trying to find itself during a midlife crisis." They did, however, praise Steve Lukather's lead vocals especially when compared to other vocalists of his generation. The review praises the sound of the band thanks to the "amazing production values" of the recordings and further states that some of the material favorably compares to Toto's best material.
|1.||"Falling in Between"||Paich, Lukather, Kimball, M. Porcaro, Greg Phillinganes, Phillips||Kimball and Phillinganes||4:06|
|2.||"Dying on My Feet"||Kimball||6:11|
|3.||"Bottom of Your Soul"||Lukather and Williams||6:58|
|4.||"King of the World"||Kimball, Lukather, Paich, Steve Porcaro, Phillips, M. Porcaro||Paich, Lukather, and Kimball||4:04|
|6.||"Simple Life" (Lukather)||Lukather||Lukather||2:22|
|7.||"Taint Your World"||Kimball||4:01|
|8.||"Let It Go"||Lukather, Paich, Phillinganes, Phillips, Kimball, M. Porcaro||Phillinganes||5:00|
|9.||"Spiritual Man" (Paich)||Paich, Kimball, and Phillinganes||5:22|
|10.||"No End in Sight"||Lukather and Kimball||6:10|
|11.||"The Reeferman" (US, Canadian and Japanese bonus track)||Lukather, M. Porcaro, Paich, Phillips||none||1:46|
- Bobby Kimball - lead and backing vocals
- Steve Lukather - guitars, lead and backing vocals, piano on "Simple Life"
- Mike Porcaro - bass
- David Paich - lead and backing vocals, keyboards
- Greg Phillinganes - lead and backing vocals, keyboards
- Simon Phillips - drums, percussion, drum programming
- Joseph Williams - shared lead vocals and background vocals on "Bottom of Your Soul"
- Steve Porcaro - synthesizers on "Dying on My Feet", "Hooked", "Let it Go", and "No End in Sight"; sound design on "Falling in Between", "King of the World", "Hooked", "Taint Your World", and "No End in Sight"
- Ian Anderson - flute on "Hooked"
- L. Shankar - violin on "Falling in Between", backing vocals on "Falling in Between" and "Bottom of Your Soul"
- James Pankow - trombone and horn arrangement on "Dying on My Feet"
- Ray Hermann - tenor saxophone on "Dying on My Feet"
- Lee Thornburg - trumpet on "Dying on My Feet"
- Tom Scott - tenor saxophone on "Spiritual Man"
- Roy Hargrove - trumpet and flugelhorn on "The Reeferman"
- Jason Scheff - backing vocals on "Falling in Between", "Bottom of Your Soul", and "King of the World"
- Trevor Lukather - backing vocal on "Hooked"
- James Tormé - backing vocal on "Hooked"
- Monet - backing vocal on "Spiritual Man"
- Lenny Castro - percussion on "Dying on My Feet", Bottom of Your Soul", "Simple Life", "Let It Go", "Spiritual Man" and "No End in Sight"
- Produced by Toto
- Mixed by Steve McMillan
- Engineered by Simon Phillips
- Assistant Engineer: Stefan Nordin
- Additional engineering by Niko Bolas, Steve Barri Cohen, Mike Ging, John Jessel & Phil Soussan.
- Recorded at Phantom Recordings (Sherman Oaks, CA).
- Additional recording at ATS Studios (Calabasas, CA) and Steve Cohen's Studio.
- Mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Marcussen Mastering (Hollywood, CA).
- Project Coordinator: Anita Heilig
- Artwork: Jim Evans
- Photography: Pamela Springsteen
- Management: The Fitzgerald Hartley Co.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2014)