Falmouth is an unincorporated community in Fayette and Rush counties in the U.S. state of Indiana. Located at the northeastern corner of Union Township and the southeastern corner of Washington Township in Rush County and along the northwestern edge of Fairview Township in Fayette County, it lies at the intersection of CR800E (Rush County) with CR600N (Rush County)/CR400N(Fayette County). Falmouth sits northwest of Connersville and northeast of Rushville, the county seats of Fayette and Rush counties respectively. Its elevation is 1,070 feet (326 m), and it is located at 39°42′3″N 85°17′4″W / 39.70083°N 85.28444°W (39.7008798, -85.3010781). Although Falmouth is unincorporated, it has a post office (located in Rush County), with the ZIP code of 46127.
The first settlement at Falmouth was made about 1825. Falmouth was laid out in 1832. It was named after Falmouth, in England. The first post office in Falmouth opened in 1847.
An old variant name of the community was called Old Baker Settlement.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- ^ "Falmouth, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ DeLorme. Indiana Atlas & Gazetteer. 3rd ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 46-47. ISBN 0-89933-319-2.
- ^ Geographic Names Information System Feature Detail Report, Geographic Names Information System, 1979-02-14. Accessed 2008-06-01.
- ^ Zip Code Lookup
- ^ History of Rush County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present, with Biographical Sketches, Notes, Etc. Eastern Indiana Publishing Company. 1888. p. 667.
- ^ Barrows, Frederic Irving (1917). History of Fayette County, Indiana: Her People, Industries and Institutions. Bowen, B. F. p. 232.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...renamed for the English town Falmouth...
- ^ "Fayette County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 5 September 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- ^ "USGS detail on Falmouth - Variant Citation". Retrieved 2017-02-25.