|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Weekly circulation for all Packet titles was 39,350 as of February 27, 2013, 32% greater than that of their regional rival, Northcliffe Media's The West Briton, which had a circulation of 29,710 on the same date.
The Falmouth & Penryn Packet
Several newspapers have borne the title Falmouth Packet in the past. The earliest, founded in 1801, was the Cornwall Gazette & Falmouth Packet, which lasted under that title for less than two years when the proprietor, one Thomas Flindell (1767-1824), was imprisoned for debt. It was the first Cornish newspaper.
In 1803 Flindell moved his operations to Truro and started the Royal Cornwall Gazette and Western Advertiser, which ultimately was absorbed into The West Briton following a bitter feud between the two publications.
The second Falmouth Packet was the Falmouth Packet & Cornish Herald, founded in 1829 and published until 1848. The third, Lake's Falmouth Packet & Cornwall Advertiser, is the ancestor of the present-day Falmouth & Penryn Packet; it started publication in 1858.
The Helston Packet
The Helston Packet is a weekly tabloid newspaper sold in and around the town of Helston in southern Cornwall, including Porthleven, Mullion and The Lizard peninsula. It was first published in 1969.
Packet Newspapers used to be part of the Express Newspapers group (and, before that, its predecessor Beaverbrook Newspapers), but as of 1987 is a subsidiary of the Newsquest newspaper group's South West division.
There are currently (February 2013) four Packets - The Falmouth/Penryn Packet, The Helston Packet, The West Cornwall Packet, and The Packet (covering Truro, Camborne and Redruth); in 2010 the Penwith Pirate was replaced by the West Cornwall Packet. They all come out on Wednesdays.
- "Newsquest - Our titles". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Newsquest Office Finder - Falmouth". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- ""The Packet service and the packet ships gave their name to this newspaper." - First Packet post for 160 years sets sail from Falmouth and Penryn (from Falmouth Packet) 1 July 2012". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Falmouth Packet, 1 August 2008: Walk around Falmouth". Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "ABC figures: How all the weeklies performed - Journalism News from HoldtheFrontPage by Paul Linford, last updated on February 27, 2013". Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "British Newspapers Online entry for Falmouth & Penryn Packet". Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century Journalism in Great Britain and Ireland - Laurel Brake, Marysa Demoor - Google Books. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "British Newspapers Online entry for Helston Packet". Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "British Newspapers Online entry for Falmouth & Penryn Packet". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "British Newspapers Online entry for Helston Packet". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Companies House entry for Packet Newspapers (Cornwall) Limited". Retrieved 30 July 2012.
|This article about a media company in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Cornwall article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|