Family of Mahatma Gandhi
|Place of origin||Gujarat, India|
|Members||K. U. Gandhi (father)|
Kasturba Gandhi (wife)
Harilal Gandhi (son)
Manilal Gandhi (son)
Ramdas Gandhi (son)
Devdas Gandhi (son)
|Connected members||Rajmohan Gandhi (grandson)|
Gopalkrishna Gandhi (grandson)
Ramchandra Gandhi (grandson)
Arun Manilal Gandhi (grandson)
Tushar Gandhi (great-grandson)
|Connected families||C. Rajagopalachari|
|Distinctions||Father of the Nation (Mahatma Gandhi)|
The Gandhi family is the family of Mohandas Gandhi (2 October 1869 – 30 January 1948). Gandhi was the distinguished leader of the Indian independence movement in British-ruled India. Mahatma Gandhi is also called the Father of the Nation or "Bapu" as the prime minister called him at his funeral; a title given to him by Subhas Chandra Bose on 6 July 1944 during his address on the Singapore Radio. On 28 April 1947, Sarojini Naidu too referred Gandhi with the title Father of the Nation. Gandhi is also referred to as Bapu (Gujarati: endearment for "father") in India. In common parlance in India he is often called Gandhi ji. An anonymous journalist from Jetpur town in Saurashtra he has also been referd to (mostly by British officials) as Gae-ndy or Ga-ndhi as in the a makes an "ah" sound, in an anonymous letter referred Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi as Mahatma (Sanskrit: "high-souled," "venerable"), for the first time while he was still in South Africa.
In 1885, Gandhi and his wife Kasturba (née Kasturbai Makhanji Kapadia) had their first baby, who survived only a few days. The Gandhi couple had four more children, all sons: Harilal, born in 1888; Manilal, born in 1892; Ramdas, born in 1897; and Devdas, born in 1900.
When Mahatma Gandhi died, Jawaharlal Nehru said "The light has gone out of our lives."
- Karamchand Uttamchand Gandhi (1822 - 1885)
- Harilal Gandhi (1888 - 1948)
- Manilal Gandhi (1892 - 1956)
- Ramdas Gandhi (1897 - 1969)
- Devdas Gandhi (1900 - 1957)
- Maganlal Gandhi (1883 - 1928)
- Samaldas Gandhi (1897 - 1953)
- Rajmohan Gandhi (1935 - )
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi (1945 - )
- Ramchandra Gandhi (1937 - 2007)
- Arun Manilal Gandhi (1934 - )
- Sunanda Gandhi (1932 - 2007)
- Ela Gandhi (1940 - )
- Kanu Gandhi (photographer) (1917 - 1986)
- Kanu Gandhi (scientist) (1928 - 2016)
- Tushar Gandhi (1960 - )
- Shanti Gandhi (1940 - )
- Leela Gandhi (1966 - )
- Kirti Menon (1959 - )
- Medha Gandhi (1988 - )
- "Father of The Nation". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Mahatma name". behindthename.com. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Mahatma title to Bapu". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Guha 2015, p. 29
- Mohanty, Rekha (2011). "From Satya to Sadbhavna" (PDF). Orissa Review (January 2011): 45–49. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 January 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2012.