List of surgeons
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Famous surgeons)
These are lists of surgeons.
Pioneers and firsts to perform particular procedures
- Claudius Amyand, performed the first Appendicectomy
- Christiaan Barnard, cardiac surgery, first heart transplantation
- William DeVries, first permanent artificial heart transplant
- John Heysham Gibbon (1903–1973), first open heart surgery
- John Hunter, first aneurysm operation and founder of early schools of anatomy
- Theodore H. Schwartz, first center in New York City to use intraoperative MRI scanning during endoscopic pituitary surgery
- Lall Sawh, C.M.T., F.R.C.S.(Edin.). Kidney transplantation pioneer in the Caribbean and Latin America. Early proponent of Viagra.
- Michael Woodruff, transplantation pioneer.
- Paul Randall Harrington, first interior fixation of the spine by means of a Harrington rod.
- Paolo Macchiarini, first stem cell grown trachea transplant.
- Frederic E. Mohs, developed the Mohs Micrographic Surgery technique (MMS) aka Mohs surgery in 1938 to remove skin cancer lesions.
- Richard Lehman (surgeon), pioneered several orthopedic surgeries
Researchers and inventors in the field of surgery
- Moshe Gueron, best known for his pioneering research about human heart influences in result of scorpion sting.
- Victor Chang
- Svyatoslav Fyodorov (1927–2000), creator of radial keratotomy
- Henry Gray, author of Gray's Anatomy
- Gavril Ilizarov, Russian orthopedic surgeon who invented the procedure to lengthen or reshape limb bones.
- Lars Leksell, neurosurgery, inventor of radiosurgery
- Joseph Lister, discoverer of surgical asepsis
- Norman Bethune, Canadian thoracic surgeon and humanitarian, early proponent of universal health care and inventor of the first practical mobile blood transport unit.
- John Heysham Gibbon, invented the heart-lung machine.
- William Stewart Halsted, remembered for his emphasis on aseptic technique during surgical procedures.
Fame and longevity
- John Ronald Brown (1922–2010), notorious incompetent, convicted of second-degree murder after the death of a patient.
- Fyodor Uglov, listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest practicing surgeon
- Paul Spangler Naval surgeon, senior Long distance runner
||This article contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (June 2009)|
- David Hayes Agnew
- Norman Bethune (1890–1939), battlefield surgery
- Theodor Billroth, stomach resection
- Ben Carson
- William Cheselden
- Realdo Colombo (c. 1516–1559)
- Abraham Colles (1773–1843)
- Denton A. Cooley, cardiac surgery, first total artificial heart (TAH) implantation
- Astley Cooper
- S. Natarajan, noted Indian vitreo retinal surgeon
- John Green Crosse, MD, FRCS, FRS (1790 to 1850), Norfolk and Norwich Hospital
- Harvey Cushing, neurosurgery
- Michael E. DeBakey, cardiac surgery
- Clinton Thomas Dent, (1850–1912)
- Ted Eisenberg
- Evenor (3rd century BC)
- Judah Folkman
- Walter Freeman, lobotomy
- Atul Gawande, writer and surgeon, MacArthur Fellow (2006)
- Hermes Grillo
- Sanjay Gupta, neurosurgery
- Sir Victor Horsley, neurosurgery
- William Jardine
- Wilbert Keon
- Gerhard Küntscher
- Sir William Lawrence (biologist)
- William Macewen, general surgery and neurosurgery
- Walter Karl Koch
- William E. Ladd
- Robert Liston
- Joseph Pancoast, 19th century American surgeon
- Hiram Polk
- Robert B. Salter, orthopedic surgery
- Ferdinand Sauerbruch, thoracic surgery
- Nancy Snyderman
- Thomas Starzl, transplantation surgery, often called as the father of "modern transplantation"
- George H. Tichenor
- Sid Watkins, neurosurgeon and former Formula One chief medic
- Magdi Yacoub, heart and lung transplants
- Gazi Yaşargil, founder of micro-neurosurgery
- Robert M. Zollinger
- Michael Salzhauer, plastic surgeon