|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|• Mayor||Hans Ulrich Gansner|
|• Total||21.84 km2 (8.43 sq mi)|
|Elevation||907 m (2,976 ft)|
|• Density||18/km2 (48/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Grüsch, Schiers, Seewis im Prättigau|
Fanas is first mentioned in second half of the 12th Century as Phanaunes.
Fanas has an area, as of 2006[update], of 21.8 km2 (8.4 sq mi). Of this area, 45% is used for agricultural purposes, while 36.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (17.5%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Fanas has a population (as of 31 December 2010) of 401. As of 2008[update], 3.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 3.7%.
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 47.3% male and 52.7% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Fanas is; 47 children or 12.5% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 42 teenagers or 11.1% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 39 people or 10.3% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 48 people or 12.7% are between 30 and 39, 62 people or 16.4% are between 40 and 49, and 55 people or 14.6% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 38 people or 10.1% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 32 people or 8.5% are between 70 and 79, there are 13 people or 3.4% who are between 80 and 89 there is 1 person who is between 90 and 99.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Fanas about 75.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Fanas has an unemployment rate of 0.94%. As of 2005[update], there were 34 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 12 businesses involved in this sector. 26 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 7 businesses in this sector. 28 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 13 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.1%), with French being second most common ( 0.8%) and Swedish being third ( 0.5%). Originally the village spoke Romansh, but by the mid 16th Century the majority spoke German.
|Languages in Fanas|
|Languages||Census 1980||Census 1990||Census 2000|
- Fanas in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived September 4, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. accessed 30-Oct-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB[permanent dead link] Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (in German) accessed 10 December 2011
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived August 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived September 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fanas.|
- Official Web site (in German)