Fancy (Drake song)
|Single by Drake featuring T.I. and Swizz Beatz|
|from the album Thank Me Later|
|A-side||"Best I Ever Had"|
|Released||August 3, 2010 (US)|
|Drake singles chronology|
|T.I. singles chronology|
|Swizz Beatz singles chronology|
"Fancy" is a song by Canadian rapper Drake, from his debut album, Thank Me Later. The song features vocals from American rappers T.I. and Swizz Beatz, the latter of whom also co-produced the track alongside Noah "40" Shebib. The song was released to US radio stations on August 3, 2010 as the album's fourth official single, however promotion of the track ended earlier than expected due to Drake's uncertainty towards the song's planned music video and promotion.
The song contains a sample of "I Don't Want to Play Around" by Ace Spectrum. The original version that had leaked features the chorus sung by Mary J. Blige and Swizz Beatz, while Swizz Beatz raps the first verse and the last two are sung by Blige. It was intended to be on Mary J. Blige's album Stronger with Each Tear, but missed the deadline and was later given to Drake. Blige's vocals were kept on Drake's version as a backing vocal, though formally uncredited.
The track received a nomination for Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards.
A music video was filmed for the song on July 16, 2010. It was directed by Anthony Mandler. The video, however, was never released. In late September 2010, Drake told MTV that the reason why the video has not yet premiered is because he's debating whether to reshoot the video for "Fancy" or commission a clip for his next single, "Show Me a Good Time", he stated: "We shot 'Fancy,' and to be honest with you, it was done and I watched it and I just had a way better idea, and that's why the video hasn't come out yet. And to follow up 'Find Your Love' and 'Miss Me,' I really wanted to do something different, conceptually, and so I had this amazing idea and now I'm debating whether I should reshoot it or go straight to Show Me a Good Time".
Drake and Swizz Beatz performed the song at the MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California, on September 12, 2010. Mary J. Blige performed alongside them in place of T.I., who was unable to attend; she sang a verse from the original leaked version, in addition to the chorus. On New Year’s Eve 2011 on ABC, Drake performed a new version of his "Fancy" track on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest. The record still has Swizz Beatz. The new verse was ultimately used on "Over My Dead Body", the opening track from his sophomore effort Take Care.
Following the performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, the song was re-purposed as a remix using one of the verses and additional ad-libs from Blige's original version in place of T.I.'s verse. This version also features part of the first verse of the original Ace Spectrum song preceding the first chorus, as well as some minor alterations to the music in the bridge. the features with Ashanti and Dondria.
"Fancy" debuted the US Billboard Hot 100 at number 99, the week following the album's release, due to it gaining strong digital sales. The song eventually peaked at number 25 on the chart. It reached its peak at four on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and one on the US Hot Rap Songs chart. The single was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for sales of over a million digital copies in the United States.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||54|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||1|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-06-28. Retrieved 2013-04-28.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Drake feat. Swizz Beatz and T.I.'s 'Fancy' - Discover the Sample Source". WhoSampled. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Drake's 'Fancy' Was Mary J. Blige's Song First, Swizz Beatz Reveals MTV.com
- Mary J. Blige x Swizz Beatz “Fancy” (Original Version) RapRadar.com
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2011-08-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Pics: Drake & Young Money On The Set Of "Miss Me" Video Shoot". Youngmoneyhq.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Drake Says He's Debating 'Fancy' Video Re-shoot". Mtv.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Drake Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Drake Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Drake Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Drake Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Drake – Fancy". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.