|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #10 (Mar 1964)|
|Created by||Stan Lee
|Alter ego||Daniel Brito|
|Abilities||Expert martial artist
Fancy Dan is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was one of the founding members of the Enforcers, a super villain group who was first pitted against Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man #10 (March 1964).
The character subsequently appears in The Amazing Spider-Man #14 (July 1964), #19 (December 1964), The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1964), Marvel Team-Up #39-40 (November–December 1975), The Spectacular Spider-Man #19-20 (June–July 1978), Dazzler #7-8 (October–September 1981), Tales of the Marvels: Inner Demons #1 (1996), Marvel Knights Spider-Man HC vol. #1 (2005), Civil War: War Crimes #1 (February 2007), Daredevil #99-100 (September–October 2007), #102-103 (January–February 2008), Amazing Spider-Girl #16-18 (March–May 2008), and The Amazing Spider-Man #562-563 (August 2008).
Fancy Dan appeared as part of the "Enforcers" entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition #4.
Fictional character biography
Daniel Brito was born in Brooklyn, New York. Along with Montana and Ox (Raymond Bloch), he was a founding member of the Enforcers.[volume & issue needed] He has great proficiency with judo and karate.
Fancy Dan and the original Enforcers (Montana and Ox) make their first appearance under the employ of the Big Man (Frederick Foswell). During this time, they have their first run-in with their longtime nemesis Spider-Man but Spider-Man defeats the trio.[volume & issue needed]
Over the next couple of years, Fancy Dan and the team would be employed by Lightmaster in one of his many schemes, again bringing them into conflict with Spider-Man with similar results.[volume & issue needed] They would then lend their services to Tech-Master in his revenge plot against Harry S. Osgood, only to be defeated by Dazzler.[volume & issue needed] Fancy Dan and the team would also go up against She-Hulk at one point.[volume & issue needed]
In the Spider-Man: Brand New Day storyline, the Enforcers are some of many of the supervillain patrons at the Bar with No Name. They take bets with a person calling himself "The Bookie" over whether Spider-Man will show up to battle "Basher", an unknown villain who claims to have fought Spider-Man. Spider-Man does show up for the confrontation, but Fancy Dan is the first to suspect something is going on. He states that Spider-Man's 'butt is too big' and is roundly mocked for looking at the man's butt. Fancy Dan is proven right when the true Spider-Man does show up several minutes later. The Enforcers decide to get revenge on The Bookie, capturing him. The Bookie's father calls Spider-Man for assistance, and he agrees to help. Spider-Man defeats Fancy Dan and Montana. Fancy Dan joins the Kingpin in Shadowland as he becomes his right-hand man.[volume & issue needed]
During the Civil War II storyline, Fancy Dan was seen as part of Black Cat's Gang. He was involved in their heist until the Avengers showed up. Fancy Dan, Black Cat, and Kingpin's former minion Janus Jardeesh evaded capture.
Powers and abilities
Fancy Dan is a skilled martial artist and he is an expert in karate and judo.
He is also a skilled marksman where he is good at sharpshooting and knife-throwing.
In the Earth X universe, Fancy Dan had mutated to being invisible except for his mustache. He and his fellow Enforcers were hired by President Norman Osborn to act as his body guards. However, they proved ineffectual when the Skull came to New York in a bid to take over the United States. Fancy Dan and his fellow Enforcers were put under the Skull's control and President Norman Osborn was murdered. Fancy Dan's fate following the defeat of the Skull remains unrevealed.
In the Marvel Noir series, Fancy Dan appeared in the first issue with the other Enforcers member and works for the Goblin. He was killed in the second issues when a horde of spiders who came from a spider statue, covered his entire body and started eating him. This coincidentally helped keep the heat off Goblin: evidence points to Fancy Dan having set a tenement fire that killed a little girl.
Fancy Dan is shown to be still be around in the MC2 future. He runs a company called Brito Imports, and is pumped for information by Mindworm. Fancy Dan still has gangland ties, and is in charge of the Brooklyn gangs.
In other media
- Fancy Dan appears in The Spectacular Spider-Man, voiced by Phil LaMarr. This version is a short, lithe black man who performs some impressive acrobatic and martial arts moves, a member of the Enforcers, and is the series incarnation of "Ricochet". Introduced in the pilot "Survival of the Fittest", he and his fellow Enforcers (Montana and Ox) are hired by the Big Man to eliminate Spider-Man but instead is webbed up by Spider-Man and left for the police on the building roof after a lengthy battle. In the episode "Group Therapy", Fancy Dan and Ox escape from Ryker's Prison with other villains. Fancy Dan and Ox get away in Hammerhead's helicopter. In the episode "Probable Cause", Fancy Dan is provided his Ricochet suit that increases his kinetic energy thanks to the Tinkerer. Fancy Dan/Ricochet joins Shocker and Ox as the New Enforcers but they're eventually defeated by Spider-Man due to Hammerhead's betrayal. In the episode "Opening Night", Fancy Dan is shown as one of the inmates at the Vault when Spider-Man was testing out the security system and is released alongside the other prisoners thanks to the Green Goblin. However, Fancy Dan and the other inmates are all recaptured when an inmate unleashes the sleeping gas in the cells.
- Fancy Dan appears in Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors, voiced by Steven Weber. He appears in the episode "Nightmare on Christmas" along with Montana and Ox to fight against Spider-Man while the Enforcers steal an Oscorp truck.
- Fancy Dan was mentioned in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions to have hit on Hammerhead's girlfriend Janice Foswell, resulting in Hammerhead killing Fancy Dan and throwing him into a dumpster.
- The Amazing Spider-Man #562-563
- Civil War II: Kingpin #1
- Earth X #9
- Spider-Man Noir #1 (2009)
- Spider-Man Noir #2 (2009)
- Amazing Spider-Girl #16-17
- Ultimate Spider-Man #10
- Fancy Dan at Marvel.com