Fantaghirò (TV series)
Czech DVD cover of the animated film.
|Created by||Claudio Biern Boyd|
|Country of origin||Spain|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Running time||28 minutes (approx.)|
|Production company(s)||Reti Televisive Italiane |
Colorland Animation Production
|Distributor||Turner Broadcasting System Europe|
Warner Bros. Television Distribution
|Original network||Italia 1 and Boing (Italy) Telecinco (Spain)|
|Original release||1999 –|
Fantaghirò is a 1999 Spanish-Italian animated television series based on the Italian fantasy film series Fantaghirò. It was created by BRB Internacional with animation by Colorland Animation Production, written by Francesca Melandri, Giovanni Romoli and Lamberto Bava, produced by Mediaset, Telecinco and Grupo Planeta, with music by Mark Bradley and Terry Wilson. A 75-minute animated film Fantaghirò: Quest for the Kuorum edited together using footage from the series was released in 2000.
The series uses elements from all five of the live-action Fantaghirò movies, combining and rearranging various events and characters appearances. The main theme throughout the series is the love between Fantaghirò and Romualdo, which changes and affects everyone around them. The main villains throughout the series are the Black Witch and her master, the lord of evil Darken, both of whom appear from the very first episode. Various places and people that were not named in the films have been given names in the cartoon adaptation, such as the kingdoms of Tuan and Dana, which are Fantaghirò and Romualdo's respective home kingdoms.
The series revolves around the adventures of Fantaghirò, the youngest daughter of King Hadrian of the kingdom of Tuan. She is brave and outspoken, and refuses to be demure and obedient like all women are supposed to be. Initially unknown to her, Fantaghirò was born with a very specific destiny, which is to conquer all the evil in the land. Her passion comes from her great love for Romualdo, the prince of the kingdom of Dana. Throughout the series the Black Witch and Darken attempt to separate or destroy both Fantaghirò and Romualdo.
Many of the characters from the live-action films are in this animated series, but some have been renamed or changed. There also a number of new characters added. Among the film characters that have been brought over to the series are Fantaghirò, Romualdo, Fantaghirò's father, Catherine, Caroline, Cataldo, Ivaldo, the Black Witch, Darken, Tarabas, Xelesia and Golden Mane. However the character of Tarabas, who was a very prominent character in the third and fourth films, is only a minor character in this series. Characters that have been changed are Lightning and Bolt from the films, who have become an imp-boy named Flash and a cat named Bolt, and the White Witch who has been split into two characters named the White Fairy and Mother Goose.
- 1. "The Prophecy": The introduction of the kingdoms of Tuan and Dana, which have been fighting for centuries ever since Princess Kyra of Tuan made a pact with the dark lord Darken to steal the holy Kuorum, which is linked to the emotions of the two kingdoms. As long as the two kingdoms fight, the Kuorum is a source of dark magic. Many years later a prophecy comes to be that a girl will be born who will destroy all evil in the world. The Black Witch sets out to kill Fantaghirò, who has just been born to King Hadrian of Tuan, but the White Fairy sets out to protect the baby princess.
- 2. "The Grotto of the Holy Beast": Fantaghirò has grown up into a young woman, and has been having dreams about a young man with enchanting eyes. She feels that she has to find that young man, but her father King Hadrian has summoned a trio of princes from another kingdom to marry her and her elder sisters Catherine and Caroline. Fantaghirò rejects the proposal and flees to the forest, where she meets the White Fairy who tells her of her destiny, and later encounters her enemy Prince Romualdo from the kingdom of Dana.
- 3. "The Scarlet Knight": Prince Romualdo dreams that he is fighting the dark lord Darken, and he is helped by a mysterious Scarlet Knight. Romualdo sends a message to the king of Tuan asking for a final duel to end the war between their two kingdoms. King Hadrian agrees and holds a tournament to decide which Tuan warrior will represent the kingdom in the duel. Fantaghirò secretly enters the tournament as the Scarlet Knight thanks to her friend Mother Goose. When the Black Witch learns of this tournament, she sends her own minion the Black Knight to defeat the Scarlet Knight.
- 4. "The Duel of Love": Fantaghirò is preparing for her duel with Romualdo while the Black Witch plots to sabotage their duel so that the two will never realise that they are destined for each other. The White Fairy fights back with her own plot to protect the would-be lovers.
- 5. "The Hunter's Prey": King Hadrian is travelling away from his kingdom when he is hunted down by Darken and his minions, the Drakes. Elsewhere, Catherine and Caroline are getting ready to get married to their beaus Cataldo and Ivaldo, respectively. At this event, Fantaghirò makes a magical vow never to fight with weapons ever again. The celebrations are cut short when news arrives that King Hadrian has been captured by the Black Witch, so Romualdo, Cataldo, Ivaldo and the army leave to save the king. Fantaghirò secretly goes after that and battles her own way to the Dark Castle.
- 6. "The Rescue of the Kuorum": Fantaghirò arrives at the Dark Castle and has to battle many creatures and avoid many traps, but is shocked when she finally reaches the Kuorum and discovers that she has to fight her beloved Romualdo, who has been put under a spell by the Black Witch.
- 7. "The Forest of the Elves": Fantaghirò and Romualdo are attacked by Darken and the Black Witch again, and this time they are separated in the Forest of the Elves. Fantaghirò meets a Unicorn and has to face three trials set by the Elves.
- 8. "Heart of Stone": Xelesia, mother of the dark wizard Tarabas, discovers a prophecy that he will be defeated by Fantaghirò. Xelesia sends her clay warriors to fight Fantaghirò, and during the battle one of the clay warriors drags Romualdo into the river, where he is turned into a stone statue. Fantaghirò then discovers that the only way to save her beloved is to get a kiss from Tarabas himself.
- 9. "The Black Cloud": The Black Witch sends the Black Cloud to the kingdom of Tuan, where it swallows Fantaghirò's castle completely. Fantaghirò teams up with the Dragon and the White Fairy to send the Black Cloud away and then defeat it, so to restore her kingdom and all the people she cares about.
- 10. "Captain Redface": The Black Witch has sent an enchanted balloon to destroy Fantaghirò's castle. Fantaghirò, Romualdo and King Hadrian are able to stop it from destroying the walls, but they are caught in it and are whisked away from the kingdom. Fantaghirò follows them by riding on Golden Mane, but eventually the balloon flies over the sea. Fantaghirò manages to get passage on a ship, but it turns out to be more complicated.
- 11. "The Horseman of Hate": Darken and the Black Witch find a way to cause the kingdoms of Tuan and Dana to fight again, this time using General Orymus of Dana, who believes that Romualdo is neglecting his own people. The Horseman of Hate arrives and affects everyone except Fantaghirò and Romualdo, who are left alone to save their people for being consumed by hate.
- 12. "The Underground War"
- 13. "Pirate Noname"
- 14. "The Genie of Evil"
- 15. "The Last Goodbye"
- 16. "In the Mouth of Evil"
- 17. "The Cemetery of Dragons"
- 18. "In the Heart of the Ice"
- 19. "The Book of a Thousand Spells"
- 20. "The Weapons of Peace"
- 21. "The Magic Garden"
- 22. "Tree World"
- 23. "The Essence of Life"
- 24. "The Dark Elf"
- 25. "The Red Diamond"
- 26. "Love Conquers Everything"
- "Arriva Fantaghirò una fiaba di cartoon - la Repubblica.it" (in Italian). Ricerca.repubblica.it. 2000-10-22. Retrieved 2015-05-03.
- "Fantaghirò, Quest For The Kuorum | Brb Internacional". Brb.es. Retrieved 2015-05-03.