The Fantanas are a group of spokesmodels (later dancers) who were created to promote the Fanta brand of soft drinks in the United States. The quartet has appeared since 2002 in advertising and personal appearances. There have been five different Fantanas rosters, the latter reintroduced as a co-ed dance ensemble in 2017. Their jingle is "Wanna Fanta! Don't you wanna?".
The "story" behind the Fantanas
According to the Fantanas's website, they lived on Fantana Island and were accidentally discovered by an entertainment mogul named Sir Juan-Carlos Martinez III after he fell off his yacht and was washed ashore on that island, seeing their work. He later talked with an advertising mogul, Paul Gurbel, in a fictional New York City restaurant who brought them to the United States. In actuality, the advertisements were created by Ogilvy and Mather in 2002.
Original Fantanas (2002–2004)
The original roster of Fantanas sported an island/party style. The members (with their real names) were:
- Nina (K.D. Aubert) - red (strawberry Fanta)
- Calli (Jennifer Diaz) - orange (orange Fanta)
- Leelee (Adrienne Janic) - yellow (pineapple Fanta)
- Raquel (Andrea De Oliveira) - purple (grape Fanta)
"Mod" Fantanas (2004–2006)
In 2004, the Fantanas returned with a new look inspired by the mod fashion styles of the late 1960s. The members (some real names being withheld or not known) were:
- Capri (Katerina Graham) - red (strawberry Fanta)
- Kiki - orange (orange Fanta); leader
- Lola - yellow (pineapple Fanta)
- Sophia (Monica Flores) - purple (grape Fanta)
"Party" Fantanas (2006–2009)
In 2006, the next-generation roster of Fantanas was introduced, this time with a contemporary party look. The commercials featuring this Fantanas roster were filmed in Argentina. The members (real names being withheld or not known) are:
- Kaia (Danielle Acoff) - red (strawberry Fanta)
- Amie (Dena Cali) - orange (orange Fanta); leader.
- Mimi (Mimi Karsh) - yellow (pineapple Fanta)
- Sophia (Monica Flores) - purple (grape Fanta); character held over from the second incarnation
Return of the Fantanas (2009–2011)
In April 2009, it was announced that New Fantanas would be advertising the drinks with the original Fanta flavors. Each of the Fantanas would have an individual fashion style. This roster of the Fantanas had these members (some real names being withheld or not known):
- Summer (Diana Carr) - orange; indie, organic hippie style, leader.
- Melody (Katherine Wilkes) - purple (grape Fanta); musical, punk, rockstar style.
- Isabela (Marilinda Rivera) - red (strawberry Fanta); fashionable, sexy, chic style.
- Lily (Brittany Hampton) - yellow (pineapple Fanta); cute, chic style. Brittany was voted the winner of the 4th Fantana Search in summer/fall 2010. Replaced Shakira Barrera.
"Be More Than One Flavor" Fantanas (2017-current)
In 2017, Fanta reintroduced the Fantanas with a modern style and encourages consumers to "be more than one flavor". It is the first time the group includes a male member.
- Eva (Eva Gutowski) - orange (orange Fanta)
- Coco (Coco Jones) - purple (grape Fanta)
- Jordan (Jordan Fisher) - red (strawberry Fanta)
- Lauren (Lauren Riihimaki) - yellow (pineapple Fanta)
The Fantanas were twice parodied on the sketch comedy series MADtv. Both appearances (Episodes #1004 and #1009, aired 6 November and 18 December 2004, respectively) starred Daniele Gaither as Capri, Stephnie Weir as Lola, Nicole Parker as Kiki, and Paul C. Vogt as "Two-Liter" Beth. The commercials were similar to the actual Fantanas commercials, with Capri, Lola and Kiki offering Fanta to a series of men, only to be interrupted by Beth's attempts to seduce the men with her two-liter bottle of an odd savory flavored Fanta (and some blurred nudity). The former episode featured the Fantanas representing similar Fanta flavors, but the latter episode (aired just before Christmas) featured the Fantanas representing holiday-themed Fanta:
- Candy Cane Capri (Gaither)
- Cinnamon Spice Lola (Weir)
- Frosted Gingerbread Kiki (Parker)
- Holiday Ham Dinner Beth (Vogt)
The Fantanas also made an appearance in the popular animated show Robot Chicken in the episode "Adoption's an Option" in 2006.
The Australian comedian Pam Ann uses the Fantana jingle as a catchphrase when she does her routine as the Iberia Airlines stewardess Conchita Rosa María González Gómez in her shows.
- "Flores was also the Berry Fantana". Archived from the original on 2009-04-09. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- On the Fanta website, Aime's signature reads "Amie". Shown in image above.
- "MORE ZAP PRODUCTIONS & MANAGEMENT | Talent Management". Morezap.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4I-2rtX6I , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atdIPQvJiI , Also starred in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pxsjWapuHA