Fantastic Man (magazine)
Cover of FANTASTIC MAN Fall/Winter 2009/10.
|Editors||Jop van Bennekom and Gert Jonkers|
|Categories||Fashion, Art, Culture|
Fantastic Man is a semi-annual men's fashion magazine which was launched in 2005. It presents men's fashion by detailed interviews with male celebrities and intellectuals from many different backgrounds.
The featured personalities included Ewan McGregor, Tom Ford, Rupert Everett, Malcolm McLaren, Helmut Lang, Bret Easton Ellis and Pierre Cardin. Contributors include photographers Zoe Ghertner, Jamie Hawkesworth, Alasdair McLellan, Juergen Teller, Wolfgang Tillmans, Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, Bruce Weber, and Milan Zrnic.
The magazine has been lauded for its art direction, winning the British D&AD award for Best Magazine & Newspaper Design in 2008 and is also known for the quality of its writing and its arch, sometimes ironic, editorial voice. Aaron Britt, in a review of men's fashion magazines for the San Francisco Chronicle, praised it as "...the best fashion mag out there ... Fashion-forward, clever, deeply engaged with the fashion world, ... Fantastic Man is better designed, better photographed and rafts more stylish than the competition. If you buy only one men's fashion magazine, it should be this one."
It is published in Amsterdam by Top Publishers, which also publishes BUTT magazine. Fantastic Man launched a website with daily content in 2009 and a sister publication aimed at women, The Gentlewoman, in March 2010.
- Ben Seidler (January 18, 2009), "Dutch magazine celebrates menswear", New York Times
- "Jop van Bennekom". Walker Art Center. March 27, 2007. Archived from the original on 2011-06-06.
- "Tom Ford Wants a Kid, Doesn't Miss Gucci". New York Magazine. 2008-03-26.
- "A conversation with Butt and Fantastic Man". Vice. April 8, 2009. Archived from the original on August 30, 2011.
- "Pierre Cardin Wants to Sell His Company for $1.3 Billion". New York Magazine. 2009-03-31.
- Magazine and Newspaper Design, D&AD, 2008, archived from the original on 2009-10-05
- Johnny Davis (October 17, 2009). "Style journal Fantastic Man: it's a man thing". The Times.
- Aaron Britt (February 15, 2009), "A quick guide to men's fashion media", San Francisco Chronicle[permanent dead link]
- Glenn O'Brien. "Fantastic MAN". Interview.
- Alisa Gould-Simon (September 24, 2009). "From the Founders of Fantastic Man Comes Gentlewoman". BlackBook.
- "Fantastic Man to Spawn Gentlewoman". New York Magazine. 2009-09-24.