Fantastica (2018 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fantastica is a 2018 Filipino fantasy comedy film directed by Barry Gonzales. It stars an ensemble cast including Vice Ganda, Bela Padilla, Richard Gutierrez, Jaclyn Jose, and Dingdong Dantes. Produced by Star Cinema and Viva Films, the film serves as an official entry to the 2018 Metro Manila Film Festival. The film was released on December 25, 2018. It received mixed to negative reviews from critics, praising the film's special effects but criticizing the lack of character development and some of the comedic scenes.
The proprietor of a struggling carnival named Fantastica (Vice Ganda) was tasked by a knight (Richard Gutierrez) to find three princesses of the knight's land. The princesses was warped on Earth separately, and lives regular lives there. But an evil spreads on the knight's land, and his rival (Dingdong Dantes) was on their throats. The mission's cover was to revive the carnival/fair to lure the princesses.
- Vice Ganda as Belat Padilla / Princess Drilon
- Richard Gutierrez as Prince Pryce
- Dingdong Dantes as Dong Nam
- Bela Padilla as Fairy Godmother
- Jaclyn Jose as Perfecta "Fec" Padilla
- Maymay Entrata as Princess Maulani
- Edward Barber as Junjun Padilla
- Loisa Andalio as Princess Rapunselya
- Ronnie Alonte as Daks Padilla
- Kisses Delavin as Princess Ariella
- Donny Pangilinan as Pepe Padilla
- Ryan Bang as Gang Nam
- Milo as Boylet
- MC Calaquian as Chubbylyn Jose
- Lassy Marquez as Chakalyn Jose
- Chokoleit as Beauty
- Juliana Parizcova Segovia as Song Bird
- Johnny Revilla as Amarillo / King Ama
- Angelika Mapanganib as Angry Bird
- Joven Olvido
Fantastica was released to mixed reviews from critics. Zsarlene B. Chua of BusinessWorld praised the opening sequence by El Gamma Penumbra, fourth wall-breaking jokes and the film's parodies of various drama films, but viewed Vice's continued reliance on insult comedy and innuendos as stale and repetitive, saying "The movie's premise and sheer starpower guarantee the film will be a blockbuster, but if you're expecting something new from Mr. Viceral's yearly MMFF entry, you're bound to be disappointed as it is more of the same: innuendos (which makes one question why it's rated Parental Guidance) and his usual insult comedy." She did however conclude that "it's a feel-good if mind-numbing film for people who want to shut down and get a few laughs here and there."
John Magbanua of Bandera also gave the film a mixed review, praising the film's special effects and romantic pairings but was critical of the formulaic production and what he noted as censorship done presumably to make the film more family-friendly. Magbanua also noted that Fantastica could have incorporated more carnival elements to add more to the film's narrative.
Box office gross
It was announced by Star Cinema in a thanksgiving dinner organized for Fantastica, that the film became the highest grossing MMFF film which starred Vice Ganda. Fantastica earned ₱596 million with the figure including earnings from both domestic and international release of the film.
- "MMFF announces first 4 movies for 2018 film festival". Rappler. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- Magbanua, Djan (27 December 2018). "MMFF MOVIE REVIEW: Is 'Fantastica' really fantastic?". bandera.inquirer.net.
- "Comedian Chokoleit dies". ABS-CBN News. March 10, 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Tabora, Regina (29 June 2018). "Vice Ganda, pasok na sa MMFF 2018!". Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- Charm, Neil (27 December 2018). "An all-star cast in a film on the same old things | BusinessWorld". BusinessWorld.
- News, Miguel Dumaual, ABS-CBN. "'Fantastica' ends run as Vice Ganda's highest-grossing MMFF movie". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-02-05.