|• Also spelled||Far'oun (official)
|• Type||Village council|
|• Jurisdiction||4,333 dunams (4.3 km2 or 1.7 sq mi)|
Far'un (Arabic: فرعون) is a Palestinian town in the Tulkarm Governorate in the northeastern West Bank, located five kilometers south of Tulkarm near the border with Israel. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, Far'un had a population of 3,100 inhabitants in 2007.
The total land area of the town 8,800 dunams, however nearly half of Far'un's land has been confiscated by Israeli authorities. It currently has a land area of 4,333 dunams of which 495 is built-up area. About 70% of the town's land is planted with olive groves, 5% is cultivated with citrus, guava and almond trees.
Most of the town's labor force is employed in agriculture or work inside Israel. Far'un is governed by a Village Council and contains a mosque, two schools, a medical clinic and a child care center. Just outside Far'un lies Khirbet Nus Jbeil which was built in 1265, dedicated to the Mamluk leader Baibars.
- 2007 PCBS census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS). p. 108.
- Closure of an agricultural Wall gate threatens the olive-picking season in Far'un village Land Research Center. 18 September 2006.
- Effects of the Segregation Wall and Israeli military garrison on the Palestinian village of Faro'un / Tulkarm governorate Land Research Center. 6 September 2003.
- Far'un PalestineRemembered. (Arabic)
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922 (PDF). Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p. II:164, Nusf Jebil: II:210 )
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale. (p. 352)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Karmon, Y. (1960). "An Analysis of Jacotin's Map of Palestine" (PDF). Israel Exploration Journal 10 (3,4): 155–173; 244–253. (Karmon, 1960, p. 170)
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p. 182, Nusf Jebil: 189 )
- Röhricht, Reinhold (1893). (RRH) Regesta regni Hierosolymitani (MXCVII-MCCXCI) (in Latin). Berlin: Libraria Academica Wageriana.
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|