Far Cry New Dawn
|Far Cry New Dawn|
Cover art featuring primary antagonists Mickey and Lou
|Release||February 15, 2019|
Far Cry New Dawn is an upcoming first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. The game is a spin-off of the Far Cry series and a narrative sequel to Far Cry 5. It is due to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 15, 2019.
Similar to its predecessors, Far Cry New Dawn is an action-adventure first-person shooter set in an open world environment which the player can explore freely on foot or via various vehicles. The game is set in the fictional Hope County, Montana and uses a reimagined version of Far Cry 5's map. The nuclear war portrayed in Far Cry 5 has reshaped the landscape so that new areas have become available for the player to explore while others are inaccessible.
The player will assume the role of a new character, whose gender and race can be customized. The Guns for Hire and the Fangs for Hire systems from Far Cry 5 return, with the character being able to recruit human survivors and animals for combat assistance. In addition to new characters, the game's cast includes an array of returning characters from Far Cry 5. The player character can also encounter several specialists who have their own personal missions, special abilities and story and help players to repair their weapons. New weapons are introduced in the game, including a "Saw Launcher" that fires the blades of circular saws. Players acquire new weapons and attachments, which can be upgraded to three different levels through crafting and finishing missions. Vehicles can also be crafted.
Players can embark on treasure hunts and liberate different enemy encampments and outposts. Once liberated, they become fast travel points that enable players to quickly navigate the world. These outposts can be occupied and used to manufacture ethanol fuel or raided for resources which leaves the outpost open to "escalation", in which the Highwaymen may reclaim these camps. This allows the player to replay the outposts on higher difficulty settings. The game also features an upgradable home base named Prosperity, which would slowly expand and grow in size as players progress. The game also features a mode called "Expeditions", which allows the player to travel to other locations in the United States such as Louisana to look for more resources and packages. As these regions are outside the main map and smaller in size, the development team was able to create more complex environments for Expeditions. Expedition missions can be completed with other players.
The story is set seventeen years after the events of Far Cry 5. After the nuclear exchange known as "the Collapse" devastated the world, survivors attempt to rebuild the community in Hope County. Their efforts are threatened by the Highwaymen, a roving band of organized bandits led by twin sisters Mickey and Lou (voiced by Cara Ricketts and Leslie Miller). The game is also expected to reveal the fates of the Deputy and Joseph Seed, the protagonist and main antagonist of Far Cry 5 respectively.
New Dawn is developed by Ubisoft Montreal in conjunction with Ubisoft Kiev, Ubisoft Bucharest and Ubisoft Shanghai. According to art director Issac Papismado, the team had wanted to create a post-apocalyptic game set in the Far Cry series for a long time. The team intentionally avoided a dark and bleak tone as they felt that it would be a cliché and resolved to create a world that looks vibrant. Set seventeen years after Far Cry 5, the world is undergoing a "super bloom" in which nature reclaims the world and gives the game a vibrant colour palette. To give Highwaymen a visual identity, the team invited a graffiti artist to create the game's art and graffiti. Similar to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Far Cry Primal, the game is a smaller production when compared to the series' main entries, a decision reflected by the game's lower launch price.
- Robinson, Martin (December 7, 2018). "Far Cry New Dawn is a post-apocalyptic spin on the series". Eurogamer. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Krupa, Daniel (December 7, 2018). "Far Cry New Dawn: Making The Apocalypse Great Again". IGN. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Pereira, Chris (December 6, 2018). "Far Cry: New Dawn Fixes FC5's Greatest Flaw: The Dog Rides In Your Car". GameSpot. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- William, Mike (December 7, 2018). "Far Cry New Dawn: A Deeper Look at the Surprise Follow-Up to Far Cry 5". USgamer. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Chalk, Andy (December 6, 2018). "Far Cry: New Dawn trailer confirms post-apocalyptic leaks". PC Gamer. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Grubb, Jeff (December 6, 2018). "Far Cry: New Dawn is the followup to Primal and Blood Dragon". VentureBeat. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Hornshaw, Phil (December 6, 2018). "Far Cry: New Dawn Is The 'Beginning Of A New World' For The Franchise". GameSpot. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Shea, Brian (December 7, 2018). "12 Things To Know About Far Cry New Dawn". Game Informer. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Goslin, Austen (December 6, 2018). "Far Cry New Dawn is coming to PS4 and Xbox One in February of 2019". Polygon. Retrieved December 7, 2018.