Far North (South Australia)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Density||0.0412146/km2 ( 0.1067453/sq mi)|
|Area||696,986 km2 (269,107.8 sq mi)|
The Far North is a large region of South Australia close to the Northern Territory border. Colloquial usage of the term in South Australia refers to that part of South Australia north of a line roughly from Ceduna through Port Augusta to Broken Hill.[according to whom?] The South Australian Government defines the Far North region similarly with the exception of the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands. the Yalata Aboriginal Reserve and other unincorporated crown lands in the state's far west, which are officially considered part of the Eyre and Western region.
The Far North includes the following local government areas: Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY), City of Port Augusta, District Council of Coober Pedy, Flinders Ranges Council and Municipal Council of Roxby Downs. As most of its extent lies within of what is known as the unincorporated area, municipal services to communities outside of the above listed local government areas are provided directly by the South Australian Government via the Outback Communities Authority. It is within the extent of the state electoral districts of Giles and Stuart, and the Federal Division of Grey.
- "Regional Development Australia Far North" (PDF). The South Australian Centre for Economic Studies. 2012. pp. 1–3. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "District of Giles Background Profile". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "District of Stuart Background Profile". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Federal electoral division of Grey, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Far North SA government region" (PDF). Government of South Australia. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "NatureMaps Spatial Browser". Government of South Australia. Archived from the original on 1 September 2007.
- "Welcome to the Outback Communities Authority". Outback Communities Authority. Archived from the original on 13 September 2015. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- (1975) Far North of South Australia : tourist development survey / Tourist Development Branch, Dept. of Tourism, Recreation & Sport (Tourist Bureau Division) South Australia. Dept. of Tourism, Recreation and Sport. Tourist Development Branch [Adelaide, S.A.] : Tourist Development Branch, Dept. of Tourism, Recreation & Sport (Tourist Bureau Division), 1975.
- (1993) Witjira National Park draft management plan, Far North, South Australia / Department of Environment and Natural Resources South Australia. Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources. Prepared by the South Australian Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Irrwanyere Aboriginal Corporation.
- "Official site: Regional Development Australia Far North". Retrieved 8 December 2015.