Fargo South High School
|Fargo South High School|
View from the south entrance
|Fargo, North Dakota
|Motto||“Strive for Excellence”|
|Locale||1840 South 15th Avenue, Fargo, North Dakota|
|School district||Fargo Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Todd Bertsch|
|Number of students||1,110|
|School color(s)||Brown and gold|
Fargo South High School, more commonly known as Fargo South or South High, is a public high school located in Fargo, North Dakota. The campus serves about 1,100 students in grades 9-12. The school is a part of the Fargo Public Schools system. The official school colors are brown and gold and the athletic teams are known as the Bruins.
Fargo South High School was built when the previous school, Fargo Central High School, burned down in 1966. Students from Central High finished the ‘66 school year at Fargo North High School and spent the 1966-67 school year at North High during the construction of a new school.
The new facility in South Fargo became South High and the “Bruins” christened their new high school with the beginning of the ‘67-68 school year.
Fargo South is a part of the North Dakota High School Activities Association and has won the following championships:
- State Class 'A' Boys’ Basketball: 1986, 1989, 2005
- State Class 'A' Girls’ Basketball: 1985, 1992, 1994
- State Class 'A' Boys' Cross Country:1985, 1999, 2002, 2003
- State Class 'A' Boys’ Track and Field: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2013
- State Class 'A' Girls’ Track and Field: 1982, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007
- State Class 'A' Baseball: 1996, 1998, 2011
- State Class 'A' Football: 1978, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1996
- State Class 'AAA' Football: 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
- State Class 'A' Boys' Hockey: 1994, 1999, 2006
- State Class 'A' Cheerleading: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- State Class 'A' Boys' Tennis: 2015
Clubs and activities
Clubs and activities include AFROTC, Art Club, Bike Club, Chess Club, DECA, Debate, Environmental Club, FBLA, French Club, Gaming Club, Geocaching Club, German Club, FCCLA, History Club, Intramurals, International Club, Journalism, Junior Classical League, Key Club, Music (Bands, Choirs, and Orchestra – Various), National Honor Society, Performing Arts, Science Olympiad, Ski/Snowboard Club, Spanish Club, Speech, Congressional Debate, Debate, Student Council, Usher Corps, VICA (SkillsUSA), and Yearbook.
- Andrew Carlson, professional runner and 2008 15k and 2010 25k US champion
- Chris Coste, catcher, Washington Nationals
- Dan Fabian, Minnesota State Representative 1A (2011–present)
- Tom Hoge, professional golfer PGA Tour
- John Kline, editor, US Weekly
- Brenda Weiler, musician
- Drew Wrigley, Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota
- "Andrew Carlson Bio". Team USA Minnesota. Archived from the original on 17 May 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.