Faria de Vasconcelos
António de Sena Faria de Vasconcelos Azevedo (1880–1939) was a Portuguese educator and educationalist.
Faria de Vasconcelos studied law in Coimbra before going to study at the New University of Brussels in 1902 . Like many Portuguese teachers in the first half of the twentieth century, he spent some time at the Rousseau Institute in Geneva, where he was a student of Édouard Claparède.
He was headmaster of an experimental school at Bierges-les-Wavre, though the school did not survive World War I, and a professor at the New University of Brussels. He subsequently directed a training school for secondary school teachers which had been founded by Georges Rouma in 1909. From 1918 to 1920 he taught a specialized course in educational psychology for school doctors at the normal school at Sucre in Bolivia. He was later a professor at Lisbon, where he founded the Institute of Careers Guidance (Instituto de Orientação Profissional) in 1925.
- Lições de Pedologia e Pedagogia Experimental. Lisboa: Antiga Casa Bertrand, 1908.
- Une école nouvelle en Belgique. Préface de M. Adolphe Ferrière. Neuchâtel: Delachaux & Niestlé, 1915. − A New School in Belgium. With an Introduction by Adolphe Ferrière. Translated from the French by Eden and Cedar Paul. London: George G. Harrap & Co., 1919. − Una escuela nueva en Bélgica. Prefacio de Adolphe Ferrière. Traducción de Domingo Barnés. Madrid: Francisco Beltrán, 1920. − Uma escola nova na Bélgica; pref. de Adolphe Ferrière; posf. e notas de Carlos Meireles-Coelho; trad. Carlos Meireles-Coelho, Ana Cotovio, Lúcia Ferreira. 1ª ed. Aveiro: Universidade de Aveiro, 2015.
- The Place of the Idea of Death and its Moral Effects in Education, Sucre, Bolivia: Porcel, 1918. Translated by Phyllis Blanchard.
- Carlos Alberto de Magalhães Gomes Mota, António Sérgio: Pedagogo e Político, 2000
- Faria de Vasconcelos, António de Sena · 1880 - 1939
- The Child, vol. 10 (1920), p.269
- Bulletin of the International Bureau of Education, 1942, p.116
- School Psychologists, Geneva: UNESCO, 1948, p.45
- Reviews: The Journal of Genetic Psychology, Vol. 26 (1919), p.202.
- Joaquim Ferreira Gomes, 'A. Faria de Vasconcelos (1880–1939), in Estudos de história e de pedagogia, Coimbra: Livraria Almedina, 1984.
|This article about an educator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|