|Born||30 August 1991|
Baku, Republic of Azerbaijan, Soviet Union
|Genres||pop, R&B, soul, jazz|
|Occupation(s)||singer composer sportsman|
Farid Mammadov (Azerbaijani: Fərid Məmmədov; born 30 August 1991, in Baku) is an Azerbaijani singer. He represented Azerbaijan in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Malmö with the song "Hold Me" and came second after Denmark.
Early life and career
Mammadov was born in Baku, to Asif Mammadov, a professional judoka and amateur rock musician, and Maya Mammadova, a silver-winning Soviet gymnast. Farid Mammadov studied at the Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts.
Since childhood, Mammadov sang in the Bulbul ensemble managed by Aybaniz Hashimova. For a long time he was a soloist of this ensemble. He has been interested in soul and jazz since age 8 and cites Stevie Wonder as a major influence.
Mammadov is the author of Gal yanima (Come to Me), one of the songs which he performed during the Azerbaijani Eurovision selection tour.
In 2013, he participated at opening ceremony of the "Gold Grand Prix" international wrestling tournament
In March 2013 Farid won the Azerbaijani national final for the 58th annual Eurovision Song Contest 2013 which was held in Malmö, Sweden in May 2013. Mammadov was the first male solo singer to represent Azerbaijan in the contest. His performance was staged by Fokas Evangelinos, a Greek choreographer who directed the Eurovision performances of Sakis Rouvas and Ani Lorak. Azerbaijan placed 2nd in the 2013 competition, receiving ten 12-point scores and 234 points.
For the first time in the history of Azerbaijan's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest, he was awarded the Marcel Bezençon Artistic Award.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012||"Gəl yanıma"||—||—||Non-album singles|
|"—" denotes release that did not chart or was not released.|
- Official data about him, and about his family (in Azerbaijani)
- Farid Mammadov Archived 3 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Europe 2013.
- Farid Mammadov's Rivals at Eurovision 2013 Archived 29 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Echo. 14 April 2013.
- Farid kicks off his European promotional tour Archived 27 June 2013 at archive.today. ITV. 30 March 2013.
- Farid Mammadov in Greece Archived 23 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine. Zerkalo. 9 April 2013.
- "Женился азербайджанский участник «Евровидения 2013» Фарид Мамедов – ФОТО – ВИДЕО".
- "Азербайджанский участник «Евровидения» стал отцом в США – ФОТО".
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Farid Mammadov". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Archived from the original on 29 May 2016.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Farid Mammadov". Swiss Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Archived from the original on 30 December 2016.
- www.esctoday.com – Azerbaijan: Farid Mammadov will fly the Azerbaijani flag in Malmo
- www.eurovision.tv – Official website of Eurovision – "It's Farid Mammadov for Azerbaijan"
- www.itv.az – Farid Mammadov will sing their song in the 58th Eurovision Song Contest in Malmo (Sweden), speaking for his country Azerbaijan