|Bandar Baru Air Itam|
|Neighbourhood of George Town|
|• Chinese||发林 (亚依淡新市镇)|
|District||Northeast Penang Island|
|• Local government||Penang Island City Council|
|• Mayor of Penang Island||Yew Tung Seang|
|• Paya Terubong State Assemblyman||Yeoh Soon Hin (DAP)|
|• Bukit Gelugor Member of Parliament||Ramkarpal Singh (DAP)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed|
Farlim, officially Bandar Baru Air Itam, is a residential neighbourhood within the city of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. Located within the Air Itam suburb, the neighbourhood lies 6 km (3.7 mi) southwest of the city centre and was created in the 1980s. Over the recent decades, Farlim has evolved into a booming township, with several residential and commercial developments.
The area where Farlim is located was previously known as Thean Teik Estate, which was named after Khoo Thean Teik, a local Chinese merchant. The area was owned by the Khoo Kongsi, a Chinese clan association in which Khoo was a director.
In 1978, Khoo Kongsi had reached an agreement with Farlim Group Berhad to develop Thean Teik Estate into a residential township. At the time, the project was the single largest property development ever undertaken by the private sector on Penang Island, with an area of 356 acres (1,440,000 m2) being originally earmarked for development. However, the commencement of construction works in 1982 was met by deadly protests by local residents. In the incident which pitted the residents against the police, one resident was killed and another four were injured.
Thean Teik Road and Thean Teik Highway are the two major roads that cut through the township. The former links Air Itam Road and the Paya Terubong suburb to the southwest, whereas the latter serves as a major thoroughfare between Paya Terubong and the Batu Lanchang suburb to the east.
Rapid Penang bus routes 13, 202, 203 and 306 also include stops within Farlim, thus connecting the township with George Town proper, the Penang International Airport and Queensbay Mall, as well as the Paya Terubong and Gelugor suburbs. These are complemented by Rapid Penang's Congestion Alleviation Transport (CAT) Air Itam route, a free-of-charge transit service within Air Itam.
There are two primary schools and a high school within the Farlim neighbourhood.
- SMK Air Itam
All Seasons Place, Penang's first and only strip mall, was completed in 2012 and serves as the sole shopping mall within Farlim. It is anchored by Giant, and consists of several eateries and health-related outlets which are arranged along the Thean Teik Highway.
The local community's retail needs are also met by a Bandar Baru supermarket at the heart of the township. In addition, Suiwah Corporation, a local retail firm, has a considerable presence within Farlim. At the time of writing, it operates the Sunshine Farlim hypermarket, while the township's second shopping mall, Sunshine Tower, is under construction. In particular, the latter retail complex, scheduled for completion in 2019, will contain the first cineplex within Farlim as well.
- "Farlim Group (M) Berhad - Townships | Bandar Baru Air Itam". www.farlim.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Farlim, the old tai kor's place - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- A Guide to Selected Chinese Clan Houses in the George Town World Heritage Site. Penang: George Town World Heritage Incorporated.
- "New commercial precinct to enhance growth of Bandar Baru Air Itam - Metro News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Road widening will ease traffic jams - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Road, drain upgrades to solve flash flood woes | Buletin Mutiara". www.buletinmutiara.com. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Smoother ride for motorists using Lebuhraya Thean Teik - Malaysia Premier Property and Real Estate Portal". Malaysia Premier Property and Real Estate Portal. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Rapid Penang". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "SK SERI INDAH - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "SJK(C) SIN KANG - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "SMK AIR ITAM - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Autumn Tower @ All Season Park". Penang Property Talk. 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- Yeoh, Winnie. "A place for all seasons - Community | The Star Online". Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "All Seasons Place - Belleview". Belleview. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Sunshine Farlim Mall". Time Out Penang. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Suiwah plans more outlets - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- Filmer, Andrea (December 2016). "Air Itam: So Busy. So Beguiling". Penang Monthly. Retrieved 2017-12-23.