Farlington Halt railway station
The station was originally built to serve Portsmouth Park racecourse, opening as Farlington Race Course on 26 June 1891. On 23 July 1894, it was the scene of an accident when a brake van next to the engine hauling the 6.35pm from Havant derailed and the first two coaches overturned. The guard on the train was killed and seven passengers were injured, one of whom seriously.
The racecourse was closed during World War One, but the station was retained to serve the ammunition dump put in its place. The station closed in 1917. Re-opened in 1922 until 1927, it was used to serve the industrial estate situated that developed in the Railway Triangle (although the industrial park on the triangle was not built until the 80's?!) Under the Southern Railway, it re-opened as a general public halt in 1928 named Farlington Halt; however, this was short-lived as the station closed due to insufficient customers on 4 July 1937. The road next to the old site still retains the name Station Road and a footbridge over the railway to the industrial estate was in use for many years, but is now behind fences. When Eastern Road was built during World War II, piles were driven through the platforms, rendering it unusable thereafter. It can still be seen by passengers in trains, passing through the station.
According to the long-term plans on the website of Portsmouth City Council, there are plans to build a new Farlington station approximately 500 yards east of the old site near the local Sainsburys and Homebase.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Sparkford, Somerset: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 94. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7.
- "The Why and Wherefore: Accident at Farlington, 1894". Railway Magazine. 123 (919): 571. November 1977.
- "Web Jobs in Railway Triangle Industrial Estate, Portsmouth (PO6) - Web Job Vacancies Railway Triangle Industrial Estate - CWJobs". cwjobs.co.uk.
- "Web Jobs in Railway Triangle Industrial Estate Hist - Web Job Vacancies Railway Triangle Industrial Estate Hist - CWJobs". cwjobs.co.uk.
- "Lead Chef Jobs in Farlington, Portsmouth - Caterer". caterer.com.
- "Lead Chef Jobs in Farlington, Portsmouth, C - Caterer". caterer.com.
- Portsmouth City Council (2008-08-18). "DF1 Farlington Station". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|