A farm stay (or farmstay) is any type of accommodation on a working farm. Some farm stays may be interactive. Some are family-focused and offer children opportunities to feed animals, collect eggs and learn how a farm functions. Others do not allow children. The term "farm stay" can also describe a work exchange agreement, where the guest works a set number of hours per week in exchange for free or affordable accommodation.
Farm stays can be described as agritourism (farmer opening their farm to tourists for any reason, including farm stands and u-pick), ecotourism (Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people), and geotourism (tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place—its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage, and the well-being of its residents).
Farm stays have been a growing trend in Europe since the 1980s, particularly in Italy, where they are called agriturismo.  Farm stays are now growing in popularity in other parts of the world as well, especially Australia, Asia, and North America. Reasons for this increasing popularity include farmers' desire for more diverse and dependable income streams and consumers' interest for and to reconnect with rural heritage and the origin of their food supply. Members or shareholders of a CSA program  The Italian portal of farmhouses  or vacationers can use a farm stay to further develop an understanding of the work involved with the supply of their food.
- "Placer-Nevada Counties - Glossary of Terms - Eat Local, Start Now!". Archived from the original on 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "What is Ecotourism? - the International Ecotourism Society - TIES". Archived from the original on 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "About Geotourism -- National Geographic". National Geographic Society. 21 January 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Chhabra, Esha. "Farm Stays On Airbnb Become More Popular During The Pandemic". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-10-31.
- "Agritourism - Farm Stays in Europe". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Great holiday deals and discounts of Holiday Farm in Italy". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Agriturismo in Italy - The Guide to quality Farmhouse in Italy!". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "The World's Best Farmstays: Agritourism, Country Cottages & Rural Retreats". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Farm Stay Camping Australia". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Asian agriturism (Farm stay) resources". Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Farm Vacations - Farm Stays and Guest Ranches - Farm Stay U.S." Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "the Italian portal of farmhouses". Retrieved 21 February 2021.
- "Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Farm stay travel guide from Wikivoyage