Farm to Market Road 1528
|Length:||11.415 mi (18.371 km)|
|Existed:||September 28, 1949 – present|
|West end:||FM 64 in Antioch|
|FM 1880 near Cooper|
SH 154 / Bus. SH 24 in Cooper
Farm to Market Road 1528 (FM 1528) is a farm-to-market road located in the western and central portions of Delta County in the U.S. state of Texas. The highway is approximately 11.4 miles (18.3 km) in length, and travels through mainly rural portions of Delta County. The roadway begins at an intersection with FM 64 in the community of Antioch. The highway proceeds southward, passing through the former community of Gough, before bending east. The highway proceeds east, running concurrently with State Highway 24 (SH 24) for a short distance. The road travels northeast, parallel to Cooper Lake, before bending north and entering Cooper, where it terminates at SH 154.
Early roads existed in the place of FM 1528 by 1936, and a short section of highway between SH 27 (now SH 24) and Klondike was designated as Loop 39 in 1939, and FM 1528 was designated in 1949. The route of the highway has been altered since its designation, including rerouting due to the construction of Cooper Lake.
FM 1528 begins at an intersection with FM 64 in the unincorporated community of Antioch as a two-lane, paved road. The highway proceeds southward, entering rural areas and intersecting several small roads. The road continues, entering the former community of Gough and intersects FM 2068. FM 1528 turns due eastward and continues, exiting the Gough area. The roadway proceeds east, intersecting several county roads and traveling past several small houses. The highway bends southward and travels a short distance before it intersects SH 24. The highway runs concurrently with SH 24 for a short distance before splitting off, proceeding into the community of Klondike. The road turns northeast, after it proceeds through Klondike and intersects FM 2890. The roadway continues northeastward, passing through the Cooper Wildlife Management Area, as well as traveling over a creek leading to Cooper Lake before it reenters rural areas. It continues, passing over another creek before it bends eastward. At the southern edge of Cooper, the route intersects FM 1880. The road bends northward, entering the city of Cooper. The roadway passes several small buildings in the community before reaching its eastern terminus, an intersection with SH 154 and State Highway 24 Business.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) publishes yearly reports of the highway's annual average daily traffic (AADT), with counts usually taken near intersections. In 2011, FM 1528's highest traveled point was within the city proper of Cooper, with a daily average of 1550 vehicles. Just outside Cooper, the count drops to around 800 vehicles. In Klondike, the AADT is around 300 vehicles, while just west of Klondike, the count is just over 100. The highway's least traveled point is near its western terminus, with an average of just 90 vehicles. No portion of the highway is listed on the National Highway System, a network of roads important to the country's economy, defense, and mobility.
The first segments of road in the location of what would become FM 1528 existed by the year of 1936. On September 26, 1939, a portion of road traveling from SH 24 to the community of Klondike was designated as Loop Highway 39 (Loop 39). and on September 28, 1949, through the order of the Texas Transportation Board, FM 1528 was designated, and Loop 39 was redesignated as part of the highway. In 1961, the highway had a bituminous surface, a combination of gravel and asphalt. By 1987, the highway had been minorly rerouted and straightened, and the entire length had been paved. Between 1986 and 1991, the highway's route was minorly rerouted between Klondike and Cooper, due to the construction of Cooper Lake.
The entire road is in Delta County.
|Antioch||0.000||0.000||FM 64||Western terminus|
|Gough||2.359||3.796||FM 2068||Eastern terminus of FM 2068|
|||4.741||7.630||SH 24 south – Commerce||West end of SH 24 concurrency|
|||4.945||7.958||SH 24 north – Cooper||East end of SH 24 concurrency|
|Klondike||5.604||9.019||FM 2890||Eastern terminus of FM 2890|
|Cooper||10.587||17.038||FM 1880 (SW 8th Street)||Northern terminus of FM 1880|
SH 154 / Bus. SH 24 (Dallas Avenue) — Sulphur Springs, Commerce, Paris
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "Farm to Market Road No. 1528". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012). Texas County Map Book (PDF) (Map) (2012 ed.). 1:120,000. Texas Department of Transportation. p. 528. OCLC 867856197. Retrieved March 25, 2013.[dead link]
- Google (March 25, 2013). "Overview map of Farm to Market Road 1528" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Paris District Traffic Map (PDF) (Map) (2011 ed.). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. Texas Department of Transportation. 2011. p. 3. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Paris District Base Sheets (PDF) (Map) (2011 ed.). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. Texas Department of Transportation. 2011. Map 5. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- National Highway System: East Texas (PDF) (Map). Cartography by Federal Highway Administration. Federal Highway Administration. March 2005. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Slater, Rodney E. (Spring 1996). "The National Highway System: A Commitment to America's Future". Public Roads. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. 59 (4). ISSN 0033-3735. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- General Highway Map of Delta County (Map) (1936 ed.). Cartography by State-Wide Highway Planning Survey. Texas State Highway Department. 1936.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway Loop No. 39". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- General Highway Map, Delta County, Hopkins County, Texas (Map) (1961 ed.). 1 inch=2 miles. Cartography by Planning Survey Division. Texas State Highway Department. Revised to January 1, 1961. Retrieved March 26, 2013. Check date values in:
- General Highway Map, Delta County, Texas (Map) (1987 ed.). Cartography by Planning Survey Division. Texas Department of Transportation. 1987.
- Parent, Laurence (2008). Official Guide to Texas State Parks and Historic Sites (2nd ed.). Austin: University of Texas Press. p. 141. ISBN 978-0-292-71726-8.
- Statewide Planning Map (Map). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. Texas Department of Transportation. 2013. Archived from the original on October 23, 2012. Retrieved March 26, 2013.