|Platform(s)||iOS, Android, Kindle, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Commodore 64, Stadia|
Farming Simulator is a farming simulation video game series developed by Giants Software and published by Focus Home Interactive. It has often been described as a farming puzzle game. The locations are based on American and European environments. Players are able to farm, breed livestock, grow crops and sell assets created from farming.
The games have sold over 25 million copies combined, as well as had 90 million mobile downloads.
In career mode, the player takes on the role of a farmer. Their tasks range from expanding & upgrading "dated" equipment & machinery. This can be achieved by harvesting crops and selling them. The player is free to explore the surrounding areas of the map, grow from their choice of several crops, and invest their money in additional fields and equipment. The player can also take up the responsibility of raising livestock, or earn an income from forestry
There are dynamically generated missions which consist of the player performing various tasks within a time frame such as mowing grass, fertilizing fields, or delivering cargo. The player is rewarded with money once the task is finished, plus a bonus based on how quickly the task was completed (excluding farming simulator 19).
Farming Simulator 14 is the first mobile Farming Simulator to have multiplayer mode. Farming Simulator 16 has Bluetooth functionality. Current generation consoles have multiplayer (Farming Simulator on the last generation consoles was the first console port of the game, with all features of 2013 Titanium). Farming Simulator 15 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One also has a multiplayer mode.
PC and console
Farming Simulator 2009
Farming Simulator 2009 is the second game in the series. It had a lot of new features such as new crop types (corn, rapeseed/canola, and barley), modding support and much more machinery, while having the same map as 2008, but remastered.
Farming Simulator 2011
This is the first game in the series to feature a multiplayer mode. It was greatly expanded with the introduction of a new map. Machinery from Deutz-Fahr, Pöttinger, and Horsch were added (also featured in the FS 2009 Gold edition). Cows were also an addition to this title.
Farming Simulator 2013
The initial release for Farming Simulator 2013 was on October 26, 2012. A version was released for the PlayStation Vita on July 2, 2013, known as Farming Simulator. Almost a year after its PC release, it received a large update and re-release under the title Farming Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition, on October 10, 2013. It contains all of the previous assets from the first iteration, with new content of a US-based environment in the form of a map called "Westbridge Hills" and new vehicles. New content was also released as DLC add-ons for those with the original version of the game.
Farming Simulator 15
Farming Simulator 15 was released to Windows and Mac OS on October 30, 2014. This version introduced forestry, washable vehicles, and 41 brands. Around 140 pieces of equipment are in the base game, 160 in the gold edition DLC pack. Farming Simulator 15 was released to consoles on May 19, 2015.
Farming Simulator 17
Farming Simulator 17 was released on October 25, 2016. It features the return of Fendt since its last debut in Farming Simulator 2009, and also Massey Ferguson, Challenger, and Valtra. For the first time in the base game, soybeans, sunflowers, and oilseed radishes are introduced as growable crops. In previous games, the player would have had to download a modification to add these crops. The crop growing mechanics have been altered, to allow different ways to increase crop yield. These include fertilizing the fields multiple times throughout the growth stages, plowing the field after a set amount of harvests, de-weeding crops, or using oilseed radish as a cover crop. The missions system were also updated, allowing the player to do work for other in-game farmers. Other additions include drivable trains and an in-game radio. On November 14, 2017, a new expansion pack was released for all platforms. This added a new map, the growth of sugarcane and new vehicles and tools. This was called the platinum expansion pack and is free with the season pass which is also available for all platforms.
Farming Simulator Nintendo Switch Edition
Farming Simulator Nintendo Switch Edition was released on November 7, 2017. It is a port of Farming Simulator 17 with the same maps, vehicles, etc. No DLC has been released for this title.
Farming Simulator 19
Farming Simulator 19 was released on November 20, 2018. Some key new features include a redesigned graphics engine and the addition of horse farming as well as oat and cotton crops. The game also features John Deere machinery for the first time, as well as Komatsu, Rau, Wilson trailer, and more. Farming Simulator 19 also has a Platinum Expansion containing 37 pieces of Claas machinery (or 41 if pre-ordered). The 6th DLC is the Kverneland & Vicon DLC, which contains 20 pieces of equipment from Kverneland and Vicon, such as the FastBale; a non-stop round baler wrapper. A seventh DLC, Alpine Farming was released on November 12, 2020. It features a new map, dubbed 'Erlengrat' as well as new licensed machinery, including AEBI and Rigitrac, as well as the return of Bührer.
Farming Simulator 20
Farming Simulator 20 was released on December 3, 2019, on Nintendo Switch in North America and Europe, and was released in Japan on May 28, 2020. It looks to be based on Farming Simulator 19's rendering engine, and also includes many features from said title.
Farming Simulator 22
Farming Simulator 22[note 1] is an upcoming release in the Farming simulator series with a release date of November 22, 2021. It is set to feature a seasonal cycle, production chains for harvested crops and livestock products, new crops in the form of grapes, olives and sorghum and over 400 vehicles and implements. Also new is compatibility with DirectX 12, parallax occlusion mapping, occlusion culling, texture streaming and temporal anti-aliasing.
Farming Simulator 2012
Farming Simulator 2012 was released for the Nintendo 3DS, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices in 2011. The 3DS version also supported 3D graphics.
Farming Simulator 14
Farming Simulator 14 was released for iOS, Android, Nintendo 3DS, Windows Phone and PlayStation Vita on November 18, 2013, and gives a more polished and more casual gaming experience on mobile platforms than its predecessors. There are 10-20 brands in the game.
Farming Simulator 16
Farming Simulator 16 was released for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and PlayStation Vita on May 8, 2015.
Farming Simulator 18
The game was announced for release on the Nintendo 3DS, iOS, Android, and PlayStation Vita. It was released on June 6, 2017. It was based on Farming Simulator 17 and included all new features of that game with some new features of Farming Simulator 19.
Farming Simulator 20
The game was released for iOS and Android on December 3, 2019.
There are 8 main series titles with 5 mobile titles, including the 2017 Nintendo Switch standalone edition.
|Name||Release Date||Platforms||Animal species||Standard Maps|
|Farming Simulator 2008||April 14, 2008||Microsoft Windows||None||Giants Island|
|Farming Simulator 2009||March 30, 2009||Microsoft Windows||None||Giants Island|
|Farming Simulator 2011||October 29, 2010||Microsoft Windows||Cows|
|Farming Simulator 2013||October 25, 2012||Microsoft Windows, OS X, PS3, Xbox 360||Cows, Sheep, Chickens||Hagenstedt|
|Farming Simulator 2013
|October 10, 2013||Microsoft Windows, OS X, PS3, Xbox 360||Cows, Sheep, Chickens||Hagenstedt, Westbridge Hills|
|Farming Simulator 2014||November 28, 2013||Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Nintendo 3DS, Kindle Fire, PS Vita||Cows|
|Farming Simulator 2015||PC: October 30, 2014,
Consoles: May 19, 2015
|Microsoft Windows, OS X, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One||Cows, Sheep, Chickens||Bjornholm, Westbridge|
|Farming Simulator 2016||May 8, 2015||Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, Fire For Kids||Cows, Sheep|
|Farming Simulator 2017||October 25, 2016||Microsoft Windows, OS X, PS4, Xbox One||Cows, Sheep, Chickens, Pigs||Goldcrest Valley, Sosnovka|
|Farming Simulator 2018||June 6, 2017||Android, iOS, Nintendo 3DS, PS Vita||Cows, Sheep, Pigs|
|Farming Simulator Nintendo Switch||November 7, 2017||Nintendo Switch||Cows, Sheep, Chickens, Pigs||Goldcrest Valley, Sosnovka|
|Farming Simulator 2019||November 20, 2018||Microsoft Windows, OS X, PS 4, Xbox One, Stadia||Cows, Sheep, Chickens, Pigs, Horses, Dogs||Ravenport, Felsbrunn|
|Farming Simulator 2020||December 3, 2019||Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch||Cows, Sheep, Chickens, Pigs, Horses||Blue Lake Valley|
|Farming Simulator 2022||November 22, 2021||Microsoft Windows, macOS, PS 4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Stadia||TBA||Elmcreek, Erlengrat, Haut-Beyleron|
Reception of the Farming Simulator series has been mixed across all titles, with critics praising its sense of relaxation and array of realistic machinery and vehicles. Some have criticised the games for their repetition and lack of interesting mechanics, while others argue such qualities should be expected in a simulator. Though the series targets the audience that are knowledgeable in the farming industry, the series is generally liked by both farmers are non-farmers alike.
- GIANTS Software is known to develop "even number" titles for mobile platforms, and "odd number" titles for consoles & PC. However, this title will not be released on mobile platforms, since Farming Simulator 21 was skipped.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 PC". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (November 18, 2013). "Farming Simulator 14 plows onto iOS and Android". Eurogamer. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "Farming Simulator 15 for PC Reviews - Metacritic". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Farming Simulator 15 Xbox 360 - Farming 15". Farming2015mods. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Farming Simulator 17 Available Today!". Farming Simulator.com. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- Farming Simulator (November 13, 2018). "Farming Simulator C64 - First look" – via YouTube.
- "Giants Software on the quiet, surprising success of Farming Simulator". VentureBeat. January 10, 2020. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- "Farming Simulator Playstation Vita".
- "Farming Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition". Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "FS13 - Titanium Add-on". farming-simulator.com. GIANTS Software GmbH. Archived from the original on July 1, 2015. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Farming Simulator 17 Overview". Farming-Simulator.com. Giants Software GmbH. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "Release schedule". Retrieved April 20, 2020.
- "Nintendo Direct 9.4.2019". Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "Farming Simulator 22 is coming!". Retrieved April 24, 2021.
- "Farming Simulator 22 officially revealed with new features and equipment". PC Invasion. April 22, 2021. Retrieved April 24, 2021.
- Cook, Dave (November 18, 2013). "Farming Simulator 14 out now on iOS & Android". Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Donna, Kowalski. "Farming Simulator - Official Website". farming-simulator.com. GIANTS Software GmbH. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Farming Simulator 2018". Farming Simulator. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- Whitehead, Dan (September 12, 2013). "Farming Simulator review". eurogamer.net. Eurogamer. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- Michael, Jon (November 7, 2012). "A Different But Enjoyable Business Simulation". ign.com. IGN. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 iOS". gamerankings.com. GameRankings. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 PC". gamerankings.com. GameRankings. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 Play Station 3". gamerankings.com. GameRankings. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 Xbox 360". gamerankings.com. GameRankings. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2012 iOS". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 PlayStation 3". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Farming Simulator 2013 Xbox 360". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved September 28, 2013.