Farmington High School (Connecticut)
|Farmington High School|
|10 Monteith Drive
Farmington, Connecticut 06032
|School district||Farmington School District|
|Superintendent||Kathleen C. Greider|
|NCES School ID||090156000273|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Number of students||1,293 (2014) |
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
Farmington High School is a public high school in Farmington, Connecticut serving grades 9-12. In Newsweek's 2005 poll, FHS was ranked #1 in Connecticut and #271 in the nation, scoring high on both the challenge index and the equity and excellence index.
FHS offers 21 AP courses:
|English Literature||Government & Politics||Statistics||Physics B||French|
|English Language||Macroeconomics||Computer Science A||Physics C||Spanish|
|US History||Calculus AB||Biology||Studio Art||Music Theory|
|European History||Calculus BC||Chemistry||Environmental Science||Microeconomics|
In the class of 2013, 88% of students took the SAT. The mean scores for the class were 552 in critical reading, 571 in math, and 555 in writing.
66% of students compete in one of the 32 interscholastic sports offered. The athletics department also offers over 20 intramural sports. School teams have won state championships in:
- Men's Soccer ('74,'79,'82,'86,'92,'96,'03,'08,'10,'12,'13,'16)
- Women's Soccer ('86,'03,'05)
- Men's Tennis ('89)
- Ice Hockey ('05)
- Field Hockey ('79,'82,'95,'99)
- Swimming ('08)('14)
- Girls' Golf ('10)
- Girls' Basketball ('13)
- Rowing ('13)
- Girls' Volleyball ('14)
In addition to its championship seasons, Farmington men's soccer has been nationally ranked from 1996–2008, finishing 9th in the U.S. in '08. The crew team has also excelled in recent years, ranking 3rd in the state in 2003 and 2nd in 2007. In 2007, 2008, and 2009, the crew team also earned coveted invitations to the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Massachusetts.
In 2006, the men's volleyball team had a perfect regular season of 18-0, the girls volleyball team came in 1st in the 13-14 state championship. The baseball team won the school's first Northwest Conference championship since 1981.
In 2013, the school announced that the athletic department was conducting a campaign to get a turf football field. As of the school year 2014-2015 the Turf field has been in use for multiple team uses; football,lacrosse, and field hockey.
The FHS men's swim team won the conference title in the CCC West championships in a three way tie with Hall High School and Conard High School. The women's and men's swim team has been coached by many successful years of championship wins and state titles by head coach Scott Ferrigno and assistant coach D. Radcliffe. They coached top division 1 athletes that go on to compete in the NCAA.
Despite being in different conferences, Farmington has a heated rivalry with Avon High School. Both schools were at a time members of the Northwest Conference.
FHS now competes in the CCC west division of the states athletic programs.
- Tim Abromaitis, professional basketball player (Notre Dame)
- Steve Addazio, Boston College Head Football Coach
- Nick Bonino, professional hockey player
- Michael Gladis actor (Mad Men)
- Shawn Haviland, professional baseball player
- Dick McAuliffe, professional baseball player
- Erin Pac, Olympic bobsledder
- Pawel Szajda, actor
- Terry Wooden, former linebacker in the NFL
Farmington Highschool students organized a boycott against Chartwells, their provider for food service, on November 3, 2014. So far, the story has been featured on NBC CT , Fox CT , WFSB Channel 3, as well as several personal blogs. Students three days prior to the boycott met with personnel from Chartwells and the superintendent and the principal, Dr. Silva.
In early March 2016, several fans at a Girls basketball game (home) chanted, "SAT Scores, SAT Scores" at the visiting Capital Prep players, at the end of a close game. Farmington High School students were reprimanded and the administrators (Head Coach Phelan and Principal Bill Silva) publicly apologized to Capital Prep.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Farmington High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- US News 2014
- "Farmington High School Profile" (PDF). Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Tim Abromaitis". The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Put Down The Cigarette . . . And Drop Out of BU.". SB Nation. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Michael Gladis". The Courant. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Dick McAuliffe". SABR. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Riley, Lori (December 6, 2009). "Bobsled Driver Pursues Dream To Compete In Olympics". Hartford Courant. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- "Pawel Szajda". The Courant. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Terry Wooden Past Stats, Statistics, History, and Awards