Faron Hall (1964–2014) was a Winnipeg man who had become known as the "Homeless Hero", after rescuing several people from drowning in several separate incidents. Faron Hall died in August 2014. Hall's body was recovered from the Red River on August 18/2014 by the Winnipeg Police Service.
Before 2007 he had been homeless for seven years, sleeping on the banks of the Red River.
In May 2009, while intoxicated he rescued a 19-year-old who had fallen from a bridge. Sam Katz presented him with the Mayor's Medal of Valour and baseball season tickets. Shortly afterwards, he moved into a government-owned apartment block.
In September 2009, once again while intoxicated he rescued a woman from drowning in the same river.
On Christmas Eve 2009, he was attacked and beaten by several people who had seen him on the news.
In February 2010, he was again the subject of a vicious beating.
In May 2011, Hall was involved in an incident that sent him to jail for assault on a woman. The victim had offered him apples instead of money, in response to his panhandling, and Hall responded by assaulting her with the car door.
- "Faron Hall, 1964-2014 - Macleans.ca". Macleans.ca. 2014-09-16. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "The Homeless Hero". The Salvation Army, Canada. 12 May 2009. Archived from the original on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "Medal of Valour for homeless hero". ctvwinnipeg.ca. May 6, 2009. Retrieved 9 March 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Homeless man a hero after saving teen from Red River". CTV News. May 6, 2009. Archived from the original on 9 May 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "Faron Hall receives awards". Winnipeg Free Press. 2009-12-16. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- Puxley, Chinta (February 9, 2010). "'Homeless Hero' hospitalized after weekend attack". The Daily Gleaner. pp. A8. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- Homeless Hero' jailed for assault. Edmonton Sun, 6 September 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- More jail time for homeless hero. Winnipeg Sun, 10 May 2012.
- Faron Hall in trouble again . Winnipeg Sun, 14 August 2013.
- Faron Hall, Winnipeg's homeless hero, jailed for assault. CBC News, 14 April 2014.