Farragut High School
|Farragut High School|
11237 Kingston Pike
|Type||Public high school|
|Officer in charge||Admiral Farragut|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Gray|
Farragut High School, located at 11237 Kingston Pike, serves as a high school in Farragut, a suburb of Knoxville, Tennessee. Knox County Schools, the unified Knox County, Tennessee school district, operates the school.
The original Farragut High School, built in 1904, occupied a strip of land adjacent to Kingston Pike, becoming the first consolidated high school in Knox County. In 1976, the school relocated to its current location on a hill overlooking Farragut on the opposite side of Kingston Pike. A supermarket and strip mall dominate the original site, razed after the construction of the new buildings.
The school bears the name of Civil War hero David Glasgow Farragut, the Union admiral born in the local area, best known for his declaration "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" The school prides itself on quality education, offering more advanced placement classes than any other public school in the Knox County School System. Farragut offers a diverse set of extracurricular activities including acting, orchestra, cross country, and chess.
In September 2007 Farragut High School tied with White Station High School for the most National Merit Semifinalists (16) in the state. In 2008 Farragut had the largest number of National Merit Finalists in the state with a total of 16 students. In 2006 and 2005 Farragut made the Newsweek list of the top 5 percent of public high schools in the nation based on its AP program.
The school fields a nationally ranked baseball team, claiming State Titles in 1982, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2014. Their football team won a state championship in 2016. The school also fields varsity teams in the following sports: Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Track and Field, Cross Country, Golf, Swimming, Wrestling, and Softball.
- Bill Bates, football player with the University of Tennessee and the Dallas Cowboys
- Channon Christian, college student who was a victim in a high-profile murder
- Neil Clabo, football player with the University of Tennessee and the Minnesota Vikings
- Tyson Clabo, football player with Wake Forest and the Atlanta Falcons
- Lewis Cosby, bassist for the alternative rock band 10 Years
- John Davis, guitarist and lead singer of the rock band Superdrag
- Nicky Delmonico, 1B for the Chicago White Sox organization
- Ben Garant, actor and comedian. Co-creator and writer for the television series Reno 911!
- Michael McKenry, catcher for the Atlanta Braves
- Chris Moneymaker, 2003 World Series of Poker Champion
- Philip Pfeifer, Pitcher for the Atlanta Braves
- Jake Thomas, actor best known for his role as Matt McGuire in the Disney Channel show Lizzie McGuire
- Kyle Waldrop, pitcher for the Minnesota Twins
- Nick Senzel, first round pick in the 2016 MLB Draft by the Cincinnati Reds
- "Farragut High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "67 score as Merit semifinalist". commercialappeal.com.
- Farragut Press, May 1, 2008
- "The Top of the Class". newsweek.com.
- http://tssaa.org/pastchampions/index.htm TSSAA Past State Champions
- Satterfield, Jamie (2008-04-26). "Christian, Newsom memorialized with scholarships". Knoxville News Sentinel. Retrieved 2013-05-23.