Farrow (customs brokerage)
|Russel A. Farrow Limited|
Russell A. Farrow
|Founder||Russell Alexander Farrow|
|Headquarters||2001 Huron Church Road|
Customs and Trade Consulting
Trade Compliance Software
Number of employees
Farrow Ltd., previously known as "Russell A. Farrow Ltd.", is the largest independently owned customs brokerage in Canada. Established in 1911, Farrow now has over 43 offices and warehousing locations throughout Canada and the US. The firm is a fully integrated customs brokerage and logistics provider specializing in Canadian and US customs clearance, international freight forwarding, small parcel handling, express services and international trade consulting.
Foundation, Growth and Acquisitions
R.A. Farrow Custom Brokers, founded in 1911 by Russell Alexander Farrow, transported goods on ferry boats between Canada and the USA. Russell A. Farrow’s father, Robinson R. Farrow, was the Commissioner of Canadian Customs.
Russell A. Farrow participated in the founding of the Dominion Chartered Custom House Brokers Association (DCCHBA), also known as the predecessor organization to the Canadian Society of Customs Brokers.
After Russell A. Farrow's death in 1949, the company was passed down to his wife, Alice M. Farrow, and then his two sons, Robinson(Bob) R. Farrow and Huntley J. Farrow. Today the company is owned and operated by Richard J. Farrow, who is the son of Huntley J. Farrow. Richard's brother, John Farrow, is also actively involved in the company, serving as Vice Chairman.
Since Farrow’s establishment in 1911, it has made 18 business acquisitions, including the recent acquisitions of D&H International, All Freight International, W.Pickett and Sons, Cavalier  and CK Logistics. Farrow acquires National Logistics services in 2015.
Farrow provides customs brokerage, logistics, and international trade services for importers and exporters in the United States and Canada. It offers services such as: customs clearance, entry processing, account management, cross-country coverage, warehousing and distribution, customs consulting, duty recovery programs, compliance verification, and dispute resolution.
The company also provides information management solutions which enables the user to link up electronically with the central databases to keep track of import/export activities. This includes TradeSmart plus, an information management solution that provides account management, database access, reporting, and auditing capabilities.
In addition, it offers door-to-door shipping/LTL, airfreight re-forwarding and delivery, and cross-border courier and warehousing services; and business-to-consumer and business-to-business merchandising services. Further, the company provides forwarding and logistics services, such as inbound/outbound transportation, warehousing and distribution, and project management services, as well as air, surface, and ocean transportation services. It serves its solutions for catalogers and direct marketers.
- Hall, Dave (2013-06-10). "Windsor customs firm changes name to Farrow (with video)". The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario: Windsor Star. Archived from the original on 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Hall, Dave (2013-02-07). "Three local companies among Canada's best managed". The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario: Windsor Star. Archived from the original on 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Wire, Live (2014-06-10). "Farrow Logistics inks deal with Staples". The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario: Windsor Star. Archived from the original on 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Company Profile of Russell A. Farrow Limited". Industry Canada. Government of Canada. Company Profile. 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Officials and Work of the Department of Customs". The Evening Journal. The Ottawa Journal. 1907-07-06. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Customs Brokers Meet Here". The Winnipeg Tribune. The Winnipeg Tribune. 1946-05-07. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "In Memoriam". Canadian Society of Customs Brokers. CSCB. 2002-11-01. Archived from the original on 2014-10-12. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Hall, Dave (2013-02-13). "Farrow Group buys Kitchener company". The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario: Windsor Star. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Van Wageningen, Ellen (2012-05-12). "Windsor's Farrow Group Expands in U.S." The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario: Windsor Star. Archived from the original on 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "W.Pickett and Sons Company Overview". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Farrow Logistics acquires Cavalier". The Windsor Star. LiveWire. 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- "Customs broker purchases U.S.-based CK Logistics". Today's Trucking. 2015-01-06. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- "Company Overview of Russell A. Farrow Limited". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg. Company Overview. Retrieved 2014-08-08.