|Fartuun Adan |
in Washington in 2013
|Title||Executive Director of the Elman Peace and Human Rights Centre|
|Spouse(s)||Elman Ali Ahmed|
|Children||Almas, Ilwad and Iman|
In 2007, she returned to Somalia to advocate for peace and human rights.
Professionally, Adan is the Executive Director of the Elman Peace and Human Rights Centre, a Mogadishu-based NGO established in honour of her late husband. She serves as the organization's Executive Director, while their daughter Ilwad works alongside her.
Through the center, she also co-founded Sister Somalia, the country's first program for assistance of victims of sexual violence.
- Nima Elbagir; Lillian Leposo. "Rape and injustice: The woman breaking Somalia's wall of silence". CNN. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Documento - Somalia: Amnistia Internacional condena el asesinato de un pacifista". Amnesty International. Archived from the original on 16 March 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "2013 International Women of Courage Award Winners". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Canadian sisters on front lines of rebuilding Somalia". Hiiraan. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "SOMALIA: Government Weekly Press Conference on the Progress". Gaafo. 6 December 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Aurora Prize. 2017 finalists.