Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) is a private, for-profit college in California. It offers degree programs in a variety of majors, including fashion, entertainment, beauty, interior design, and graphic design. The college was founded in 1969 by Tonian Hohberg, who is the current president and CEO.
The college offers 26 Associate of Arts degree programs; a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management, which is also available via distance learning; and nine Bachelor of Arts degree programs. The college also offers a Master in Business Administration degree.
The college is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission. It is also an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The college has four campuses: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange County. The campuses feature the modern architecture of Clive Wilkinson. FIDM's main campus, Los Angeles, features innovative study spaces, a stunning Design Studio, and the world-class FIDM Museum & Galleries. The San Francisco campus is located in Union Square . The San Diego campus occupies about 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) on the third floor of a high-rise office building. The award-winning Orange County campus is a dynamic visual experience with ultra-modern lofts, an indoor/outdoor student lounge, eye-popping colors, and a sensational, one-of-a-kind audio visual igloo.
In popular culture
FIDM served as the location of Lifetime's Project Runway season six, Project Runway: Under the Gunn, Project Runway: Threads, and Project Runway: Junior. Several FIDM alumni, including Santino Rice, Daniel Franco, Guadalupe Vidal, Kelli Martin, and Leann Marshall, were contestants on the original Project Runway show. FIDM was also featured in the MTV show The Hills, which shows the life of upcoming fashion designer, Lauren Conrad, who comes from Laguna Beach and wants to become famous for her designs.
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Museum, located at the Los Angeles Campus, is home to a large collection of fashion and costume pieces from the 1800s to today. The museum features permanent and temporary exhibits, including costumes and designs from early 20th-century Hollywood, theater, and current televisions shows and films.
- Lubov Azria, fashion designer
- Katie Bender, filmmaker
- Gessica Brooke, fashion and accessories designer
- Amanda Bynes, fashion designer, actress
- Lauren Conrad, author and fashion designer
- Cris Crotz, Miss Nevada 2010
- Candice Cuoco, fashion designer, Project Runway 14 finalist
- Kyra Davis, novelist
- Lil Debbie, rapper, model, and fashion designer
- Nikita Dragun, Beauty YouTuber
- Mario Hollands, pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Sassa Jimenez, fashion designer, Philippines
- Karen Kane, fashion designer
- Lisa Kristine, fine art photographer
- Michael Kuluva, fashion designer, professional figure skater, owner of Tumbler and Tipsy
- Masiela Lusha, Albanian-American actress, poet, and humanitarian
- Leanne Marshall, fashion designer, Project Runway 5 winner
- Ashima Sharma, fashion Designer & Internationally ranked Artist
- Jeane Napoles, daughter of Janet Lim-Napoles, who is believed to have masterminded the PDAF scam
- Santino Rice, fashion designer, Project Runway 2 finalist
- Yotam Solomon, fashion designer
- Marlene Stewart, costume designer
Faculty and staff
- Kevin Reagan, Grammy Award-winning graphic designer and author of Alex Steinweiss: The Inventor of the Modern Album Cover
- Bradford Shellhammer, entrepreneur and designer, founding editor of Queerty
- Nick Verreos, fashion designer, also alumnus
- President's message. Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
- Statement of Accreditation Status: Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. WASC Senior College and University Commission. Accessed January 2014.
- "Statement of Accreditation Status FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising". Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission. 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Accredited Institutional Members Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine. National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Accessed 2014.
- "FIDM San Diego Campus / Clive Wilkinson Architects". ArchDaily. 2011-11-18.
- "FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, San Francisco Campus". Petersons's. 1 January 2001.
- 2011 Recipient | AIA Institute Honor Awards for Interior Architecture: FIDM San Diego Campus. The American Institute of Architects. Accessed January 2014.
- Corcoran, Monica. "They've Got the Project Runway Blues." LA Times. February 1, 2009.
- Nededog, Jethro. "‘Project Runway's’ Tim Gunn to Host New Lifetime Fashion Competition" The Wrap. November 13, 2013.
- "About Project Runway: Threads | Lifetime". Lifetime. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "FIDM Alumni "Project Runway" Contestants" Lifetime
- Neider, Alison A. (May 29, 2014). "FIDM Exhibition Showcases Fashion Sketches From Hollywood's Golden Age". California Apparel News.
- O'Connell, Michael (June 2, 2014). "Emmys: Fox Goes Guerrilla With 'Sleepy Hollow' Campaign". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Lubov Azria: How to Succeed in the Fashion Industry". theFashionSpot.
- Hall, Sandra (2016-02-29). "The Will to Fly review: inside the elite world of aerial skiing". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- KTLA Spring Fashions and Hangbags with Gessica Brooke retrieved on 01 March, 2011 Archived April 1, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Amanda Bynes thrown out of school". msn.com. Archived from the original on July 22, 2015.
- "Lauren Conrad: Biography". people.com. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- https://archive.is/20140619144128/http://www.kyradavis.com/2006/08/stephanie-lehmann-and-other-stuff.html. Archived from the original on June 19, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2014. Missing or empty
- Kelsey Whipple. "Lil Debbie Is Ready For Her Private Jet". L.A. Weekly.
- Cordaro, Colleen. Clark, Bonnie (ed.). "Dressed for Success". Phillies (Print)
|url=(help). Philadelphia Phillies. 2014 (4): 36–38.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Stories - FIDM.edu". fidm.edu.
- May, Meredith (2013-01-04). "Lisa Kristine Photographs Slavery". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Michael Kuluva/ The Designer". tumblerandtipsy.com.[better source needed]
- "Masiela Lusha of Sharknado 4 Blows My Mind with This Incredible Interview". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "Intelligent Design: Project Runway's newest winner, Leanne Marshall, gets down to business". elle.com. 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Mateo, Janvic (March 19, 2015). "DOJ files P17-M tax case vs Napoles daughter". Cite journal requires
|journal=(help) The Philippine Star (Philstar Global Corp.)
- "Lifetime TV Shows - myLifetime.com - myLifetime.com". myLifetime.com.
- "Los Angeles designer Yotam Solomon to give fashion advice to Bruins in FAST event". dailybruin.com.
- "New Tom Cruise Film Oblivion's Costume Designer Is Award-Winning Alumna of Fashion School FIDM". Benzinga.
- "Site Map". fidm.com.