Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Los Angeles, California, United States|
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) is a for-profit college in California, United States. It offers courses in fashion, entertainment, beauty, interior design, and graphic design. The college was founded in 1969 by Tonian Hohberg, who is its president and CEO.
Courses and accreditation
The college offers 26 Associate of Arts degree programs; a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management, which is also available via distance learning; and nine bachelor's degree programs in Professional Studies, including International Manufacturing & Product Development, Textile Production & Development, Entertainment Set Design & Decoration, Film & TV Costume Design, Footwear Design, Digital Media, and Menswear.
Since August 2013 the college has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission, with "initial accreditation" status. It is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
The San Francisco campus is located in Union Square and currently enrolls 637 students.
The San Diego campus occupies about 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) on the third floor of a high-rise office building.
In popular culture
FIDM served as the location of Lifetime's Project Runway season six, and Project Runway: Under the Gunn. Several FIDM alumni, including Santtino Rice, Daniel Franco, Guadalupe Vidal, Kelli Martin, and Leann Marshall, were contestants on the show.
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Museum, located at the Los Angeles Campus, is home to a large collection of fashion and costume pieces from the 1800s to today. The museum features permanent and temporary exhibits, including costumes and designs from early 20th-century Hollywood, theater, and current televisions shows and films.
Notable students and alumni
- Lubov Azria, fashion designer
- Katie Bender, filmmaker
- Gessica Brooke, fashion and accessories designer
- Amanda Bynes, fashion designer, actress (expelled)
- Lauren Conrad, author and fashion designer
- Cris Crotz, Miss Nevada 2010
- Kyra Davis, novelist
- Lil Debbie, rapper, model, and fashion designer
- Surily Goel, fashion designer, costume designer
- Mario Hollands, pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Sassa Jimenez, fashion designer, Philippines
- Karen Kane, fashion designer
- Lisa Kristine, fine art photographer
- Monique Lhuillier, fashion designer
- Masiela Lusha, Albanian-American actress, poet, and humanitarian
- Leanne Marshall, fashion designer, Project Runway 5 winner
- Jeane Napoles, daughter of Janet Lim-Napoles, who is believed to have masterminded the PDAF scam
- Santino Rice, fashion designer, Project Runway 2 finalist
- Yotam Solomon, fashion designer
- Marlene Stewart, costume designer
- Kevin Reagan, Grammy Award-winning graphic designer and author of Alex Steinweiss: The Inventor of the Modern Album Cover
- Nancy Riegelman, fashion illustrator and author of 9 Heads: A Guide to Drawing Fashion
- Nick Verreos, fashion designer, also alumnus
- President's message. Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
- Statement of Accreditation Status: Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. WASC Senior College and University Commission. Accessed January 2014.
- Commission action letter August 2013. WASC Senior College and University Commission. Accessed January 2014.
- Accredited Institutional Members. National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Accessed 2014.
- "FIDM San Diego Campus / Clive Wilkinson Architects". ArchDaily.
- "FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, San Francisco Campus". Petersons's. 1 January 2001.
- 2011 Recipient | AIA Institute Honor Awards for Interior Architecture: FIDM San Diego Campus. The American Institute of Architects. Accessed January 2014.
- Corcoran, Monica. "They've Got the Project Runway Blues." LA Times. February 1, 2009.
- Nededog, Jethro. "‘Project Runway's’ Tim Gunn to Host New Lifetime Fashion Competition" The Wrap. November 13, 2013.
- "FIDM Alumni "Project Runway" Contestants" Lifetime
- Neider, Alison A. (May 29, 2014). "FIDM Exhibition Showcases Fashion Sketches From Hollywood's Golden Age". California Apparel News.
- O'Connell, Michael (June 2, 2014). "Emmys: Fox Goes Guerrilla With 'Sleepy Hollow' Campaign". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Lubov Azria: How to Succeed in the Fashion Industry". theFashionSpot.
- Hall, Sandra. "The Will to Fly review: inside the elite world of aerial skiing". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- KTLA Spring Fashions and Hangbags with Gessica Brooke retrieved on 01 March, 2011 Archived April 1, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Amanda Bynes thrown out of school". msn.com. Archived from the original on July 22, 2015.
- "Lauren Conrad: Biography". people.com. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- http://www.kyradavis.com/2006/08/stephanie-lehmann-and-other-stuff.html. Retrieved June 19, 2014. Missing or empty
- Kelsey Whipple. "Lil Debbie Is Ready For Her Private Jet". L.A. Weekly.
- "Surily - Designer & Stylist - Biography". surily.in.
- Cordaro, Colleen. Clark, Bonnie, ed. "Dressed for Success". Phillies (Print). Philadelphia Phillies. 2014 (4): 36–38.
- "Stories - FIDM.edu". fidm.edu.
- May, Meredith (2013-01-04). "Lisa Kristine Photographs Slavery". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Monique Lhuillier / The Designer". moniquelhuillier.com.
- "Masiela Lusha of Sharknado 4 Blows My Mind with This Incredible Interview". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "Intelligent Design: Project Runway's newest winner, Leanne Marshall, gets down to business". elle.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Mateo, Janvic (March 19, 2015). "DOJ files P17-M tax case vs Napoles daughter". The Philippine Star (Philstar Global Corp.)
- "Lifetime TV Shows - myLifetime.com - myLifetime.com". myLifetime.com.
- "Los Angeles designer Yotam Solomon to give fashion advice to Bruins in FAST event". dailybruin.com.
- "New Tom Cruise Film Oblivion's Costume Designer Is Award-Winning Alumna of Fashion School FIDM". Benzinga.
- "Site Map". fidm.com.