FastStone Image Viewer
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
6.9 / 23 January 2019
|Written in||Embarcadero Delphi|
|Operating system||Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/2003 Server/XP/Vista/7/8/10|
|Available in||English, multilingual available|
|License||Proprietary, free for non-commercial use|
FastStone Image Viewer is an image viewer and organizer for Microsoft Windows, provided free of charge for personal and educational use, as of version 6.9[update]. The program also includes basic image editing tools.
- Relatively fast HQ image thumbnail viewing, using Lanczos resampling algorithm
- Support for multi-monitor configuration
- Custom order arranging, via drag-and-drop, and automatic renumbering
- Batch operations including rename and convert
- Color space management (partial, it ignores the monitor profile)
- Magnifier lens
- Portable version to be used without installation, typically installed on USB flash drive, including all user settings.
- Preview of quality loss when saving in lossy file formats (such as JPEG).
- If in fullscreen mode, pops up an image gallery, detailed image information, editing options, or program options at the border being touched by the mouse.
Other features include:
- Supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, and TGA), with a focus on popular digital camera RAW formats such as Canon's CR2,CR3 and Sony's ARW.
- Displays Exchangeable image file format (Exif) camera information
- Thumbnail cache and database
- Basic image editing tools: resizing, cropping, color correction, red-eye removal
- Advance image editing tools: clone brush, curve (tonality), levels, and unsharp mask.
- Lossless JPEG rotation and cropping
- Side-by-side image comparison tool
- Fully customizable contact sheet Builder*Emailing
- Memory card image retriever
- Slide show, including music and many transition effects
The FastStone Image Viewer was first released in 2004 by FastStone Soft. Since then, new stable versions have been released regularly.
Since version 3.1, a multilingual version has been available, supporting Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish.
This Windows program is provided in three forms: as a normal-install executable, a zip file of the same, or as a fully portable no-install zip file.
According to FastStone, version 2.7 and all previous releases have been found to be using improperly licensed images and icons, and as a result, FastStone requested that version 2.7 and older copies of FastStone Image Viewer cease to be used, with all licenses updated to version 2.8 for both free and commercial versions. This announcement was made on their web site the same date that version 2.8 was posted.
- As of version 4.2, resizing of animations (i.e. animated GIFs) is not supported. Thus they can only be viewed at 100% scale, this includes thumbnails.
- When the program starts, a delay may occur as the thumbnail view is managed, moreso the first time when the thumbnail cache database is built.
- The portable version (from PortableApps) sometimes has problems saving its settings, ignoring them at random. Quitting and restarting the app (not PortableApps or the underlying OS) usually solves this problem.