Hobbs & Shaw
|Hobbs & Shaw|
|Directed by||David Leitch|
|Written by||Chris Morgan|
by Gary Scott Thompson
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Hobbs & Shaw (promoted as Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw) is an upcoming American sci-fi, buddy cop, action film directed by David Leitch and written by Chris Morgan. It is set to be a spin-off of The Fast and the Furious franchise featuring the characters, Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw in the leading roles. The film stars Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Idris Elba, Roman Reigns, Vanessa Kirby, and Helen Mirren. The film is scheduled to be released on August 2, 2019 by Universal Pictures.
Two years after the events of The Fate of the Furious, federal agent Luke Hobbs and former-British military turned mercenary Deckard Shaw must join forces in order to stop a new threat emerging from Brixton Lore, a cyber-genetically enhanced international terrorist.
- Dwayne Johnson as Luke Hobbs, a federal agent working for the DSS and also at odds with Shaw after the events of Furious 7 and The Fate of the Furious.
- Jason Statham as Deckard Shaw, a former British Special Forces assassin turned mercenary who had been imprisoned by Hobbs after his defeat in Los Angeles and thus is at odds with him. He joins forces with Hobbs to pursue Lore.
- Idris Elba as Brixton Lore, an ex-MI6 agent and international cyber-genetically enhanced terrorist leader and a criminal mastermind who is in conflict with Hobbs and Shaw.
- Roman Reigns as Duke Hobbs, Luke Hobbs brother.
- Vanessa Kirby as Hattie Shaw, an MI6 field agent and Deckard's sister.
- Helen Mirren as Magdalene Shaw, mother of Deckard, Owen and Hattie.
- Eddie Marsan
- Eiza Gonzalez as Madam M.
- Cliff Curtis
- Josh Mauga
- John Tui
In November 2015, Vin Diesel announced in an interview with Variety that potential spin-offs for The Fast and the Furious series were in the early stages of development. A spin-off film centered around characters Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw was announced in October 2017 by Universal Pictures and set a release date of July 26, 2019 with Chris Morgan returning to write the script. Variety reported that Shane Black was being considered to direct the film. The announcement of the spin-off provoked a response on Instagram by Tyrese Gibson, criticizing Johnson for causing the ninth Fast & Furious film to be delayed for another year. In February 2018, Deadpool 2 director David Leitch entered talks to direct the film. In April 2018, Leitch was confirmed as the director for the film and added David Scheunemann as a production designer.
In July 2018, Vanessa Kirby was cast in the film to play an MI6 agent and Shaw's sister, along with Idris Elba to play the main villain role in the film. In October 2018, Eddie Marsan joined the cast of the film. In November 2018, Eiza Gonzalez joined the cast of the film. In January 2019, Johnson revealed that his cousin Roman Reigns would appear in the film as Hobbs' brother. Additionally, he announced that Cliff Curtis, Josh Mauga, and John Tui would also portray brothers of Hobbs. Helen Mirren was also confirmed to be reprising her role from The Fate of the Furious.
Principal photography began on September 10, 2018, in London, England. Dwayne Johnson joined the production two weeks later, on September 24, 2018, after wrapping Jungle Cruise. In October, filming moved to Glasgow to recreate London. Filming also took place in late 2018 at Eggborough Power Station, North Yorkshire. Production officially completed on January 27, 2019.
- ‘Hobbs & Shaw’: Dwayne Johnson Shares On-Screen Staredown With Jason Statham In First-Look Photo — Deadline.com
- Maythum, Matt (December 21, 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: First look at Fast & Furious spin-off starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham (plus, the official title is revealed)". Games Radar.
- Lang, Brent (November 16, 2015). "'Fast & Furious' Spinoffs In the Works (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (October 5, 2017). "Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Gets 2019 Release (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (October 5, 2017). "Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham's 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Gets 2019 Release Date". Variety. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- "Fast & Furious: The Rock And Jason Statham Spin-Off Coming In 2019". WhatCulture.com. 6 October 2017. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (February 7, 2018). "'Deadpool 2' Director in Early Talks for Dwayne Johnson's 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (April 8, 2018). "'Hobbs and Shaw' Adds 'Deadpool 2' and 'Atomic Blonde' Production Designer - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Evry, Max (April 12, 2018). "David Leitch Confirmed to Direct Fast & Furious Spinoff". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 3, 2018). "'The Crown's' Vanessa Kirby Joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 5, 2018). "Idris Elba to Play Villain in 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Starring Dwayne Johnson (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 4, 2018). "Eddie Marsan Along For The Ride In 'Fast & Furious' Spin-off 'Hobbs And Shaw'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (November 29, 2018). "Eiza Gonzalez To Join Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham In 'Fast And Furious' Spinoff". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- WWE Star Roman Reigns Joins Pal Dwayne Johnson In ‘Hobbs And Shaw’
- 'Hobbs And Shaw' Casts Cliff Curtis As A Hobbs, More Brothers Revealed
- "Helen Mirren to Reprise Fast & Furious 8 Role in Hobbs and Shaw" (August 13, 2018). Film-News.co.UK. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Fast & the Furious Hobbs & Shaw Spinoff Starts Filming". screenrant. September 10, 2018. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (March 30, 2018). "'Furious' Spin-Off 'Hobbs and Shaw' Filming In Atlanta, Hawaii, and UK This Fall - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- First Image from ‘Hobbs and Shaw’ Arrives in Style as Filming Begins
- "In pictures: Glasgow doubles as London for major Hollywood action film shoot". Evening Times. Retrieved 2018-12-09.
- "'The Rock' blockbuster to film in village". BBC News. 8 November 2018. Retrieved 2018-12-09 – via www.bbc.com.
- Garcia, Hiram (January 27, 2019). (Untitled). Twitter.
- "Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw - Art of VFX". www.artofvfx.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Mendelson, Scott (January 31, 2019). "Dwayne Johnson And Jason Statham Pick A Side In First 'Hobbs And Shaw' Poster". Forbes. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Mendelson, Scott (February 1, 2019). "The Terrific New 'Hobbs And Shaw' Trailer Is Fast, Furious And Funny". Forbes. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 9, 2018). "'Fast & Furious' Spinoff With Dwayne Johnson & Jason Statham Shifts To August 2019 – Update". Deadline. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (October 5, 2017). "Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham's 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Gets 2019 Release Date". Variety. Retrieved September 11, 2018.