Fast Company (magazine)
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2012)|
October 2009 cover of Fast Company
|Frequency||10 times per year|
|Publisher||Fast Company, Inc|
|First issue||November 1995|
Fast Company is a full-color business magazine that releases 10 issues per year and focuses on technology, business, and design. Fast Company's current editor is Robert Safian, who previously worked with Fortune, Time, and Money. The magazine has won numerous industry awards.
In 1997, Fast Company created an online social network, the "Company of Friends" which spawned a number of groups that began meeting in person.
In 2000, Zuckerman sold Fast Company to Gruner + Jahr, majority owned by media giant Bertelsmann, for $350 million. At the time this was the second largest amount for any US magazine in history. In 2005, G&J sold the magazine, as well as Inc. magazine, to Joe Mansueto's company Mansueto Ventures for $35 million.
Fast Company currently operates three different franchises: Most Innovative Companies, Most Creative People in Business, and Masters of Design. For their Most Innovative Companies feature, Fast Company assesses thousands of businesses based on creativity, real-world impact, risk taking, and execution to create a list of just 50 companies. The Most Creative People in Business is a list of 100 people from a wide range of industries.
FastCompany.com operates as a network of sites with Inc.com. It comprises four sites: Co.Design, Co.Exist, Co.Create and Co.Labs. Co.Design covers business, innovation, and design. Co.Exist specifically covers innovation-related topics. Co.Create covers creativity, culture, and commerce. Fast Company also operates 30 Second MBA, a site with an ongoing video "curriculum" of advice from business personalities. The site features professionals who answer business and leadership questions in 30 seconds.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- Fast Company :: progressive | creative | innovative. Mediakit.fastcompany.com. Retrieved on April 10, 2012.
- "A Brief History of Our Time". Fast Company. 2006-03-01. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- About Us | Fast Company | Co.Design | Co.Exist | Co.Create. Fast Company (October 25, 2011). Retrieved on April 10, 2012.
- Kuczynski, Alex (December 14, 1998). "Cultivating A Cult Audience; Fast Company Magazine Takes 'Community of Readers' Idea To New Extremes". New York Times. Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- Gruner + Jahr sells 2 U.S. magazines
- "Most Innovative Companies: Top 10 by Industry". Fast Company website. February 18, 2010. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Fast Company. Retrieved on May 29, 2012.
- "Co.Design website". Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "Co.Exist website". Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "Co.Create website". Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Krippendorff, Kaihan (2012-10-21). "Leadership". Fast Company. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- "Co.30 Second MBA website". Retrieved April 10, 2012.