Fast Infrared Exoplanet Spectroscopy Survey Explorer
FINESSE would provide uniquely detailed atmospheric information on exoplanets
|Mission type||Space observatory|
|Mission duration||2 years|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||2023 (proposed)|
|Launch site||Cape Canaveral Air Force Station|
|Reference system||Earth-Sun L2 (heliocentric) orbit|
|Wavelengths||Far infrared (80 - 300 μm)|
The principal investigator is Mark Swain of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. FINESSE was one of three Medium-Class Explorer mission concepts that received $2 million to conduct a nine-month mission concept study in August 2017. If selected, the mission would last two years.
FINESSE would consist of a space observatory tasked to study exoplanet atmospheres by spectroscopically surveying over 500 planets outside the Solar System with the goal of gaining understanding of the processes responsible for their composition, and how the Solar System fits into the larger family of planets.
- Determine key aspects of the planet formation process. FINESSE would obtain the atmospheric composition measurements of metallicity and carbon/oxygen ratio.
- Determine key factors that establish planetary climate. FINESSE measurements would determine planetary energy budgets from the dayside to the nightside.
FINESSE would measure the atmospheric light spectra of exoplanets transiting or eclipsing their parent star. The proposed spectrometer functions on the 0.5-5.0 μm range, on the far infrared wavelegths of λ/Δλ = 80 at 1.2μm, 300 at 3 μm, and it would use a 75 cm diameter primary mirror.
- FINESSE Mission to 500+ transiting exoplanets. NASA JPL. Accesses 1 October 2017
- NASA - NASA Selects Science Investigations For Concept Studies, 29 September 2011.
- "NASA Selects Proposals to Study Galaxies, Stars, Planets". NASA. 9 August 2017.
- Old FINESSE website (inactive)
- Swain, M. R. (2010). Finesse - A New Mission Concept For Exoplanet Spectroscopy. American Astronomical Society. Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society. 42, p. 1064.
- Space.com - AAS Dispatch: Proposed Space Mission Would Probe Alien Atmospheres
- What is FINESSE ? - video