Faster Than the Speed of Night
|Faster Than the Speed of Night|
|Studio album by Bonnie Tyler|
8 April 1983 (UK) |
September 1983 (US)
|Genre||Soft rock, Wagnerian rock, hard rock|
|Producer||Jim Steinman, John Jansen|
|Bonnie Tyler chronology|
|Singles from Faster Than the Speed of Night|
Faster Than the Speed of Night is the fifth studio album by Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler. It was released first in Europe on 8 April 1983 and later that year in the US through Columbia Records. Tyler had changed musical direction from country music in 1980, and began working with Jim Steinman soon after. Steinman produced the album and wrote its most successful single "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
The album reached number one on the UK Albums Chart. It was certified Silver in the UK, Platinum in the US, and Double Platinum in Canada
The album consists of dramatically re-worked cover songs, including the Creedence Clearwater Revival hit "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" "Goin' Through the Motions" is a Blue Öyster Cult cover from their 1977 album Spectres, and the original version of "Straight from the Heart" was the breakout Top 10 hit for Canadian rock singer/songwriter Bryan Adams from his Platinum album Cuts Like a Knife. It also included the song "Take Me Back" written by Billy Cross, a former Bob Dylan guitarist. Only two of the tracks were written by Jim Steinman himself: the title track and the international number one hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
|length2 = 4:09
|title6 = Faster Than the Speed of Night |writer6 = Jim Steinman |length6 = 6:44 |title3 = Getting So Excited |writer3 = Alan Gruner |length3 = 3:32 |title4 = Tears |note4 = with Frankie Miller |writer4 = Frankie Miller |length4 = 3:51 |title5 = Take Me Back |writer5 = Billy Cross |length5 = 5:24
|title7 = Total Eclipse of the Heart |writer7 = Steinman |length7 = 7:01 |title8 = It's a Jungle Out There
- Dennis Polen
- Paul Pilger
- William Moloney
- Bonnie Tyler – vocals
- Roy Bittan – piano, organ on track 8
- Larry Fast – synthesizers
- Rick Derringer – guitars
- Steve Buslowe – bass
- Max Weinberg – drums
- Jimmy Maelen – percussion
- Eric Troyer – backing vocals
- Rory Dodd – backing vocals, vocal on track 4
"It's a Jungle Out There"
- Paul Shaffer – organ (also organ on track 7)
- Hiram Bullock – guitars
- Will Lee – bass
- Steve Jordan – drums
- Jimmy Maelen – percussion
- Dave LeBolt – additional synthesizer on track 1
- Steve Margoshes – all keyboards on track 2
- Holly Sherwood – backing vocals & wailing on track 2
- Martin Briley – additional guitars on track 2
- Stephanie Black, Erika Katz, Brian Pew, Edward Skylar, Tristine Skylar, David Varga – children's chorus on track 6
- Frankie Miller – male vocal on track 7
- Produced & Directed by Jim Steinman; Associate Producer: John Jansen
- Arranged by Roy Bittan & Jim Steinman, except track 2 (arranged by Steve Margoshes & Jim Steinman)
- Recording Engineers: Neil Dorfsman (basic track recording), Rod Hui; Chief Recording Engineer: John Jansen
- Additional Recording by Frank Filipetti & Scott Litt
- Recorded at The Power Station, Greene Street Studio, Right Track Studios
- Mixed by Neil Dorfsman, John Jansen & Jim Steinman, except track 2 (mixed by John Jansen, Scott Litt & Jim Steinman)
- Mixed at The Power Station
- Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound
|Australian Albums (Kent Music Report)||3|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||24|
|French Albums (SNEP)||12|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||20|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||1|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||1|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||3|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||19|
|UK Albums (OCC)||1|
|US Billboard 200||4|
Certifications and sales
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-21. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Allmusic review
- Guarisco, Donald. "Faster Than The Speed Of Night". allmusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Jurek, Thom. "Blue Öyster Cult Spectres review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 316. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Officialcharts.de – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Bonnie Tyler | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Bonnie Tyler Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Canadian album certifications – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Music Canada. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "British album certifications – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 31 October 2014. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Faster Than the Speed of Night in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Bonnie Tyler – Faster Than the Speed of Night". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 31 October 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.