Fat Bottomed Girls
|"Fat Bottomed Girls"|
|Single by Queen|
|from the album Jazz|
|Released||13 October 1978|
|Queen singles chronology|
"Fat Bottomed Girls" is a song by the British rock band Queen. Written by guitarist Brian May, the track featured on their 1978 album Jazz, and later on their compilation album, Greatest Hits. When released as a single with "Bicycle Race", the song reached number 11 in the UK Singles Chart, and number 24 in the Billboard Hot 100 in the US.
The song is formed around an open bluesy, metallic guitar tuning, with the tune opening with its chorus. It was one of the few Queen songs played in an alternative guitar tuning, being played in drop D tuning. The song's music video was filmed at the Dallas Convention Center in Texas in October 1978.
The song was performed on the setlists of their Queen + Adam Lambert tours in 2012 & 2014-2015 featuring Adam Lambert  and at the iHeartRadio Music Festival 2013 as Queen + Adam Lambert featuring Fun  It was also performed during the Return Of The Champions Tour and the Rock the Cosmos Tour, both tours by Queen + Paul Rodgers.
The song featured a different vocal arrangement from the studio recording when performed live. In live performances, the lead vocals during the chorus were sung by Freddie Mercury and harmonised with an upper voice (Roger Taylor) and a lower voice (Brian May). In the studio version, there is no higher harmony. The lead vocals on the verses are sung by Freddie Mercury, while Brian May sings the lead vocals on the chorus.
In the US, the 1991 Hollywood Records reissue of Jazz included a bonus remix by Matt Wallace.
In 1992, Organized Konfusion remixed the track for inclusion on the later-cancelled BASIC Queen Bootlegs compilation. This version included an alternate vocal track by Mercury, as well as hip-hop production and added rap verses.
"Fat Bottomed Girls" was released as a double A-side with the song "Bicycle Race", and includes the line "Get on your bikes and ride 'em". "Bicycle Race" contains the lyrics "Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today/So look out for those beauties, oh yeah", completing a double cross-reference between the two songs.
Sales and certifications
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||250,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Freddie Mercury - lead and backing vocals
- Brian May - electric guitar, lead chorus and backing vocals
- Roger Taylor - drums
- John Deacon - bass guitar
Weekly singles charts
- Maury Dean (1 January 2003). Rock and Roll: Gold Rush. Algora Publishing. p. 459. ISBN 978-0-87586-227-9.
- Queen - Greatest Hits AllMusic. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Whitburn, Joel (2006). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits. Billboard Books
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums. London: Guinness World Records Limited
- Prato, Greg. "Fat Bottomed Girls". AllMusic. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Queen Songs - Fat Bottomed Girls. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Queen Promo Videos - Fat Bottomed Girls Ultimate Queen. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Queen live on tour: Jazz (Setlist) Queen Concerts. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Queen live on tour: The Game (world) Queen Concerts. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Queen live on tour: Hot Space (world) Queen Concerts. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- "Queen + Adam Lambert Set List: Calgary, Saddledome". Queen Online. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Queen + Adam Lambert featuring Fun performing Fat Bottomed Girls at iHeartRadio Festival 2013 Retrieved 31 August 2015
- Queen + Paul Rodgers performing Fat Bottomed Girls Retrieved 31 August 2015
- Fat Bottomed Girls Ultimate Queen. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- Bicycle Race Ultimate Queen. Retrieved 4 September 2011
- "British single certifications – Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.