Fate (Dr. Dog album)
|Studio album by Dr. Dog|
|Released||July 22, 2008|
|Genre||Indie rock, neo-psychedelia, chamber pop|
|Label||Park the Van|
|Dr. Dog chronology|
Pre-orders from the album, depending on where it was pre-ordered, included signed CD art, a signed or unsigned 7" with two new songs ('The Dearly Departed' and 'Is It Worth My Time'), stickers, posters, t-shirts, and the album on vinyl.
The cover is a picture of a painting with the outlines sewn on done by Chicago native Ken Ellis. It was directly inspired by a picture of ill-fated outlaw duo Bonnie and Clyde. When the members of Dr. Dog saw the painting at Chicago's Rainbo Club, where Ellis is a bartender, they quickly bought it from him. They then used it as the album cover because they thought it fit with the general aesthetic of the album.
|Entertainment Weekly||(A-) |
- Written by Toby Leaman and Scott McMicken.
- "The Breeze" – 3:59
- "Hang On" – 4:01
- "The Old Days" – 3:42
- "Army of Ancients" – 4:05
- "The Rabbit, the Bat, and the Reindeer" – 3:29
- "The Ark" – 3:38
- "From" – 4:39
- "100 Years" – 4:06
- "Uncovering the Old" – 3:22
- "The Beach" – 3:42
- "My Friend" – 5:36
- "The Dearly Departed" (Only available on 7" and iTunes) – 3:14
- "Is It Worth My Time?" (Only available on 7") – 3:56
- "Drop Me Off" (iTunes bonus track) – 4:03
- "From" (iTunes bonus alternate version) – 5:10
Dr. Dog performed, recorded and wrote the songs and consists of:
- Toby Leaman - vocals, bass, upright bass
- Scott McMicken - vocals, lead guitar, piano
- Frank McElroy - rhythm guitar, vocals
- Zach Miller - keyboards, piano, guitar
- Juston Stens - drums, percussion, vocals
- Toby and Scott wrote the lyrics.
- Dr. Dog composed the music.
Additional musicians consist of the following:
- Danny Scofield - saxophones
- Janka Perniss - violin
- Tommy Bindle - percussion
- Steve Duffy - trombone
- Kimbal Brown - trumpet
- John Pettit - trumpet
- Heather Fortune - flute
- Laura Foxx - clarinet
- Victoria Baltimore - cello
- Megan Smith - oboe
- Eliza Jones - vocals
Additional production by:
- Brendan Cooney - string and horn arrangements
- Greg Calbi – mastering
- Ken Ellis – paintings
- Bill Moriarty – mixing
- T. William Moriarty – production coordination
- Kyle Pulley – production assistant, mixing assistant
- The Fader Dr. Dog Review, thefader.com, gives a description of Dr. Dogs performance, retrieved 30 May 2008.
- on YouTube, TV Spot featuring Dr. Dog's "My Friend".
- Bonnie and Clyde Photo, Photo of Bonnie and Clyde that inspired the cover of Fate.
- on YouTube
- "Dr. Dog - Fate - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.net. 2008-07-22. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Sean Westergaard (2008-07-22). "Fate - Dr. Dog | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- [dead link]
- Leah Greenblatt (2008-07-18). "Fate Review". EW.com. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]