Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fateh (Persian: فاتح, meaning "conqueror") is an Iranian designed class of semi-heavy submarines. The Iranian media reported that Fateh class subs can operate more than 200 meters below the sea surface for nearly five weeks. In September 2013, the Iranian Navy announced that the first sub of this class would be launched by the end of the current Iranian year (in March 2014), according to satellite imagery the first sub of the class was launched in 2013 and a second one is under construction at the Bandar Anzali Naval Base on the Caspian Sea. In 2019 the Islamic Republic News Agency reported that the Fateh had joined Iran's fleet after final tests, in a ceremony attended by Iranian president Hassan Rouhani. It reported that the Fateh is "equipped with sonar, electric drive, combined battle management, surface-to-surface guided missile guidance, torpedo guidance, electronic and telecommunication warfare, secure and integrated telecommunication systems and dozens of state-of-the-art modern systems. Fateh submarine has speed of 11 knots (20.35 km/h) and is capable of travelling submerged at 14 knots (25.9 km/h). The submarine is armed with four 533-mm torpedoes. It can carry eight sea mines and two reserve torpedoes." Press TV reported that Fateh has a 100-percent domestically-sourced technology. Iran's first semi-heavy submarine is capable of carrying and firing cruise missiles that could be launched from a submerged position.
Submarines in the class
|Builders:||Marine Industries Organization|
|Operators:||Islamic Republic of Iran Navy|
|Length:||48 m (157 ft)|
|Range:||6,700 km (3,600 nmi; 4,200 mi) at 8 knots, snorkeling|
|Test depth:||250 m|
|Sensors and |
|11 retractable sensors, including an electro-optical mast and what appeared to be an optical periscope. Others may include a radar and electronic intelligence sensors for target-acquisition purposes.|
|Electronic warfare |
|Armament:||6 Torpedoes/cruise missiles (4 x 533mm Torpedo Tubes), 8 Sea mines|
|Fateh (IRIS 920)||2013||17 February 2019||Active|
|Fateh (IRIS 961)||2015||Undergoing trials|
- "New Iranian sub seen for the first time". Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Press TV Fateh submarines to join Iran Navy 5 October 2011
- Iran to Launch New Submarine to Boost Naval Capabilities in High Seas, Fars News Agency, November 27, 2013
- "Iran launches new submarine class". Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Iran most advanced domestically-built submarine joins fleet". Islamic Republic News Agency. February 17, 2019.
- Binnie, Jeremy (18 February 2019). "Iran commissions Fateh submarine". Jane's 360. Abu Dhabi. Archived from the original on 19 February 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2019.