Father Judge High School
|Father Judge High School|
3301 Solly Avenue
(He shall not fail)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Francis de Sales|
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Philadelphia|
|President||Mr. Brian P. King|
|Principal||Mr. Peter Chapla|
|Average class size||29|
|Student to teacher ratio||20:1|
|Color(s)||Sheridan Red and Columbia Blue|
|Athletics conference||Philadelphia Catholic League|
|Rival||North Catholic (traditional) Archbishop Ryan (modern)|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Publication||Writer's Bloc (literary magazine)|
|Affiliation||Oblates of St. Francis de Sales|
|Admissions Director||Ryan Kilkenny|
|Athletic Director||Jake Serfass|
|Website||Official school webpage|
Father Judge High School is a Roman Catholic high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. It was established in 1954 by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia and is run by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales.
The school is named for Father Thomas Augustine Judge (1868–1933), who dedicated his life to organizing lay missionaries in the northeastern United States. Fr. Judge founded the congregation of sisters whose "motherhouse" is located next to the high school; these sisters then donated a portion of the land to the archdiocese on which the school was built.
The school offers nine Advanced Placement classes for its junior and senior students: English Language and Composition, Literature, Calculus, European History, U.S. History, Psychology, Physics, Environmental Science, and Biology.
Clubs and activities
Father Judge Model United Nations Team
- UNA-USA Model United Nations Conference 1st place (1999, 2002, 2006, 2007,2008 (only school to have won this title in back to back to back seasons, and three consecutive years in a row. Father Judge is also the only school to have won this award five times).
- North American Invitational Model United Nations 1st place (2003)
- Honorary resolutions from both the Philadelphia City Council and Pennsylvania State Senate for their achievements in debate.
Crusader News Network
CNN (Crusader News Network) is Father Judge's television station. The student-run network provides live announcements during homeroom via the schools' YouTube Channel.
Athletics & Wellness
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The school is a member of the Philadelphia Catholic League (PCL) and the Philadelphia City (now PIAA District XII). The Athletic Department currently offers 14 interscholastic athletic programs, as well as 2 club sports programs. The athletic programs offered at Father Judge include: Soccer, Football, Golf, Cross Country, Fall Crew, Basketball, Wrestling, Bowling, Indoor Track, Baseball, Lacrosse, Outdoor Track, Tennis, Spring Crew, and club sports Ice Hockey and Rugby. The school has participated in 59 PCL Championships and 18 City (District XII) Championships over its 60-year history, with the most recent teams of Soccer, Wrestling, and Bowling capturing their titles in the 2013-2014 season. Joe Galasso was the first wrestler from the city of Philadelphia to win a State Title at 138lb weight class for wrestling.
The school has two gymnasiums (The Fox Gymnasium and the Mitchell Activity Center), a wrestling training room, a weight room and fitness center, a track & athletic complex, a synthetic turf multi-purpose (football, soccer, lacrosse, rugby) field, a synthetic turf baseball field, three locker rooms, and a cross country course in nearby Pennypack Park.
Patrick S. McGonigal '81 Center for Fitness and Wellness
The Patrick S. McGonigal '81 Center for Fitness and Wellness was launched in 2013 to offer fitness and wellness programming open to the entire student body. The weight room, fitness center, and gymnasium in the Mitchell Activity Center is open daily for students to participate in the programs offered after school. The Center offers fitness programming, strength training, intramurals, and an Outdoor Recreation Club.
- Bob File, pitcher
- Joe Bonikowski, pitcher
- Joseph R. Cistone, bishop, diocese of Saginaw
- Joe Kerrigan, pitcher and manager
- Frank Legacki, swimmer and entrepreneur
- Michael McGeehan, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- John Sabatina, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Daniel Muldoon, underwent a complete and successful change of gender
- Dan Krause (Oneway Dan)(young goat), conquered oneway coreys spot as goat oneway and led them to biker war.
- "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". MSA-CSS. Archived from the original on 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2007-06-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Departments". Fatherjudge.com. Archived from the original on 2008-08-17. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Father Judge High School - Advanced Placement Courses". Fatherjudge.com. Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- The Catholic Standard & Times - Next step critical for Pa. marriage amendment Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Model United Nations". Fatherjudge.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
-  Archived November 17, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "Resolution No. 060514:Resolution honoring Father Judge High School for achieving top honors at Model United Nations Archived October 2, 2006, at the Wayback Machine." Journal of the City Council of Philadelphia. June 1, 2006