Fathers and Daughters
|Fathers and Daughters|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gabriele Muccino|
|Written by||Brad Desch|
|Music by||Paolo Buonvino|
|Edited by||Alex Rodríguez|
|Box office||$5.1 million|
Fathers and Daughters is a 2015 American-Italian drama film directed by Gabriele Muccino and starring Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, and Kylie Rogers. It is based on a 2012 script written by Brad Desch, which was included in the 2012 Black List survey. The film received mostly negative reviews from critics and was also a financial flop, grossing over $5 million against a $22.4 million production budget.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (July 2016)|
A Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist grapples with being a widower and father after a mental breakdown while, twenty-five years later, his grown daughter struggles to forge connections of her own.
- Russell Crowe as Jake Davis
- Amanda Seyfried as Katie
- Kylie Rogers as Young Katie
- Aaron Paul as Cameron
- Diane Kruger as Elizabeth
- Quvenzhané Wallis as Lucy
- Janet McTeer as Carolyn
- Octavia Spencer as Dr. Korman
- Jane Fonda as Teddy Stanton
- Bruce Greenwood as William
- Michelle Veintimilla as Woman at Cameron's Apartment
In November, Aaron Paul was cast in the film as Seyfried's love interest. Actresses Diane Kruger, Octavia Spencer, and Quvenzhané Wallis were cast in the film during the Berlin Film Festival. The same month, Janet McTeer was cast. In April 2014, it was announced Jane Fonda, and Bruce Greenwood had joined the cast of the film.
Michael Bolton sings and wrote the song to this movie.
The film was released first in Italy on October 1, 2015. It was then released in the United Kingdom on November 13, 2015, by Warner Bros. Vertical Entertainment will distribute the film in the U.S on July 8, 2016.
The film received negative reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports a rating of 28% based on 47 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2/10; the site's consensus states: "Fathers and Daughters name-brand cast can't cover for a screenplay that makes a half-hearted effort at delving into family dynamics but falls back on melodrama." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 31% from 17 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Fathers and Daughters (15)". British Board of Film Classification. October 19, 2015. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "Film tax credit approved for new Russell Crowe movie". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. 23 January 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Fathers and Daughters (2015)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- Justin Kroll. "Aaron Paul & Russell Crowe in 'Fathers and Daughters' — Exclusive - Variety". Variety. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Borys Kit , Rebecca Ford. "Janet McTeer Joins 'Fathers and Daughters' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- James Garcia. "Jane Fonda And Bruce Greenwood Join Fathers And Daughters". We Got This Covered. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "Cannes: Voltage Taps Gabriele Muccino To Helm Black List 'Fathers And Daughters'". Deadline. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Dave McNary. "Russell Crowe Fathers and Daughters: Actor to star in Voltage Drama - Variety". Variety. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "Amanda Seyfried To Star In 'Fathers And Daughters' With Russell Crowe - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Dave McNary. "Berlin: Octavia Spencer, Quvenzhane Wallis and Diane Kruger Join 'Fathers and Daughters' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (April 11, 2014). "Jane Fonda Joins Russell Crowe in 'Fathers and Daughters'". Variety.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "New Russell Crowe movie "Fathers and Daughters" planning to shoot in Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Business Times". Pittsburgh Business Times. January 15, 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "Extras Casting To Begin Soon For "Fathers And Daughters" Movie". cbslocal.com. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "James Horner to Score Gabriele Muccino's 'Fathers and Daughters'". Film Music Reporter. May 25, 2014. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Paolo Buonvino Scoring Gabriele Muccino's 'Fathers and Daughters'". Film Music Reporter. September 26, 2014. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Fathers And Daughters From Gabriele Muccino". iloveitalianmovies.com. August 30, 2015. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Rosse, Norlisa Hanlon (November 9, 2015). "8 Reasons To See Fathers & Daughters Next Month…". Marie Claire. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Gates, Anita (April 29, 2016). "Summer Movie Release Schedule 2016". The New York Times. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Fathers and Daughters". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Fathers and Daughters Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 15, 2016.