Fatty acid-binding protein
The fatty-acid-binding proteins (FABPs) are a family of transport proteins for fatty acids and other lipophilic substances such as eicosanoids and retinoids. These proteins are thought to facilitate the transfer of fatty acids between extra- and intracellular membranes. Some family members are also believed to transport lipophilic molecules from outer cell membrane to certain intracellular receptors such as PPAR. Levels of fatty-acid-binding protein have been shown to decline with ageing in the mouse brain, possibly contributing to age-associated decline in synaptic activity.
Members of this family include:
|Protein name||Gene||Tissue distribution||Comment|
|FABP 1||FABP1||liver and silver|
|FABP 3||FABP3||muscle and heart||mammary-derived growth inhibitor|
|FABP 8||PMP2||peripheral nervous system||peripheral myelin protein 2|
|FABP 11||fabp11||restricted to fishes|
|FABP 12||FABP12||presence shown in human retinoblastoma cell lines, rodent retina and testis.|
|FABP 5-like 1||FABP5L1|
|FABP 5-like 2||FABP5L2|
|FABP 5-like 3||FABP5L3|
|FABP 5-like 4||FABP5L4|
|FABP 5-like 5||FABP5L5|
|FABP 5-like 6||FABP5L6|
|FABP 5-like 7||FABP5L7|
- Chmurzyńska A (2006). "The multigene family of fatty acid-binding proteins (FABPs): function, structure and polymorphism". Journal of Applied Genetics. 47 (1): 39–48. doi:10.1007/BF03194597. PMID 16424607.
- Smathers RL, Petersen DR (Mar 2011). "The human fatty acid-binding protein family: evolutionary divergences and functions". Human Genomics. 5 (3): 170–191. doi:10.1186/1479-7364-5-3-170. PMC . PMID 21504868.
- Weisiger RA (Oct 2002). "Cytosolic fatty acid binding proteins catalyze two distinct steps in intracellular transport of their ligands". Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 239 (1-2): 35–43. doi:10.1023/A:1020550405578. PMID 12479566.
- Tan NS, Shaw NS, Vinckenbosch N, Liu P, Yasmin R, Desvergne B, Wahli W, Noy N (Jul 2002). "Selective cooperation between fatty acid binding proteins and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in regulating transcription". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 22 (14): 5114–27. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.14.5114-5127.2002. PMC . PMID 12077340.
- Pu L, Igbavboa U, Wood WG, Roths JB, Kier AB, Spener F, Schroeder F (Aug 1999). "Expression of fatty acid binding proteins is altered in aged mouse brain". Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 198 (1-2): 69–78. doi:10.1023/A:1006946027619. PMID 10497880.
- Liu RZ, Li X, Godbout R (Dec 2008). "A novel fatty acid-binding protein (FABP) gene resulting from tandem gene duplication in mammals: transcription in rat retina and testis". Genomics. 92 (6). doi:10.1016/j.ygeno.2008.08.003. PMID 18786628.
|This protein-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|