|Birth name||Bård Guldvik Eithun|
|Also known as||Faust|
April 21, 1974 |
|Genres||Black metal, thrash metal, death metal|
Bård Guldvik "Faust" Eithun (born 21 April 1974) is a Norwegian drummer. He is best known for his work with early black metal band Emperor, especially on the releases As the Shadows Rise and In the Nightside Eclipse. He also writes lyrics for other bands, including Zyklon.
Murder of Magne Andreassen
On 21 August 1992, Eithun stabbed Magne Andreassen, a gay man, to death in a forest just outside Lillehammer. Eithun was visiting his family there. He went to a pub and had a drink, but "the atmosphere didn't suit him, so he decided to head home". According to Eithun, while walking in the Olympic park, "this man approached me – he was obviously drunk and obviously a faggot […] it was obvious that he wanted to have some contact. Then he asked me if we could [...] go up to the woods. So I agreed, because already then I had decided that I wanted to kill him, which was very weird because I'm not like this". Eithun carried a knife because, as he explained: "It's better to have a knife you don't need than to not have one when you need it". Once in the woods, Eithun stabbed Andreassen 37 times and then kicked him in the head repeatedly as he lay on the ground.
Eithun claimed that he felt no remorse at the time. In the late 1990s, he said of the murder: "I was outside, just waiting to get out some aggression. It's not easy to describe why it happened. It was meant to happen, and if it was this man or another man, that's not really important". Ihsahn, his bandmate in Emperor, said that Eithun "had been very fascinated by serial killers for a long time, and I guess he wanted to know what it's like to kill a person". The media has linked the murder to black metal and speculated that Eithun was motivated by Satanism or fascism, but in a 2008 interview he explained: "I was never a Satanist or fascist in any way, but I put behind me the hatred and negativity. Those feelings just eat you up from inside". In a 1993 interview he had said "I am not a Satanist, but I praise the evil". In an interview for the book Lords of Chaos he explained he had been "interested in Satanism but there are other things as well. Basically, I don't give a shit". Jørn Tunsberg of the band Hades Almighty said that the murder was "an impulse killing" and that "it had nothing to do with black metal".
Police initially had no suspects, and Eithun remained free for about a year. However, he told Øystein 'Euronymous' Aarseth, Varg Vikernes, and a few others what he had done. After Euronymous's murder in August 1993, Eithun was arrested and confessed to killing Andreassen. In 1994 he was sentenced to 14 years imprisonment, but was released in 2003 after serving nine years and four months.
In 2013, it was announced that Faust would return to Emperor as drummer for the 20th anniversary of In The Nightside Eclipse tour in the summer of 2014.
(the specified year is date of recording, not release)
- Decomposed Cunt - reh(earsal)-tape 1989 reh-tape 1989
- Stigma Diabolicum - Various reh-tapes and live-tape from Stjørdalen, Norway 1990
- Impostor - Still Not Satisfied-demo 1990
- Impostor - Violent World reh-tape 1991
- Thorns - Various reh-tapes 1990–1992
- Emperor - Emperor - Split CD w/ Enslaved 1992 (Candlelight)
- Emperor - As the Shadows Rise 1992 (Nocturnal Art Prod)
- Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse 1993 (Candlelight)
- Cadaver Inc. - A spoken passage on the Kill Tech song featured on Discipline 2000 (Earache)
- Ulver - Drums on The Future Sound of Music on Perdition City 2000 (Jester)
- Sirius - Various spoken passages and drumming on the Spectral Transition – Dimension Sirius album 2000 (Nocturnal Art Prod)
- Zyklon - World ov Worms wrote all lyrics 2001
- Sigh - Lyrics for Nietzschean Conspiracy - Imaginary Sonicscape album 2001.
- Zyklon - Aeon wrote all lyrics 2003
- Disiplin - Spoken words and lyrics on Strategy Formulation 2003 (Moonfog).
- Blood Tsunami – Demo 2005
- Hesperus Dimension – Spoken passage on demo 2005
- Scum – Protest Life single-CD 2005
- Scum – Gospels for the Sick 2005
- Blood Tsunami – Thrash Metal (2006)
- Zyklon - Disintegrate wrote all lyrics 2006
- Aborym - Generator (2006)
- Blood Tsunami – Grand Feast For Vultures (2009)
- Aborym - Psychogrotesque (2010)
- Aaron Aites (director, producer), Audrey Ewell (director, producer) (2009). Until the Light Takes Us (motion picture). Variance Films.
- Lords of Chaos (2003), p.111.
- Lords of Chaos, p.112.
- Lords of Chaos, p.116.
- Lords of Chaos, p.113.
- Lords of Chaos, p.114.
- Bowar, Chad. "Interview with former Emperor drummer Faust". Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- Interview with Euronymous, Faust, Metalion and others from Beat, Issue 2 (1993)
- Lords of Chaos, p. 255.
- Grude, Torstein (1998). Satan Rides The Media.
- Moynihan, M. and Soderlind, D. (2003) Lords of Chaos - The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground Revised and Expanded Edition, California: Feral House.