December 12, 1905
|Died||June 21, 1959(aged 53)|
|Alma mater||Oakland High School, Oakland, California|
|Title||1925 Rose Queen
Miss California 1924
Miss America 1925
|Spouse(s)||Sidney M. Spiegel
Fay Elinora Lanphier (12 December 1905 – June 21, 1959) was a model most noted for becoming Miss California in 1924 and Miss America in 1925. She was also the 1925 Rose Queen. To date, she is the only person to hold both titles at the same time. She is also the first Miss California to become Miss America. Before she was Miss California, she was Miss Santa Cruz (1924). She graduated from Oakland High School in 1924.
Lanphier appeared in the Paramount Pictures film The American Venus (1926) which featured a beauty contest, and co-starred Louise Brooks, and performed for a short time on stage in San Francisco with the Henry Duffy Players.
She was briefly married to Sidney M. Spiegel (son of Joseph Spiegel, founder of the company which bears his name). In 1931, she married her high-school sweetheart Winfield Daniels, by whom she had daughters. She lived in Oakland California suburb Orinda until her death from viral pneumonia at age 53.
|Awards and achievements|
- California Death Index
- "Miss America's Smile Her Greatest Asset". The Pittsburgh Press. 1925-09-23. p. 6.
- "East-West Grid Game Stage Set". Berkeley Daily Gazette. 1925-12-31. p. 7.
- "Miss California History". Miss California. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- "Jesse L. Lasky Tells How "The American Venus" Was Selected At Atlantic City". The Palm Beach Post. 1925-10-04.
- "Radio Technique Is Studied For Remote Control". San Jose News. 1929-11-11. p. 6.
- 1920 US Federal Census
- "Beauty Queen To Wed". Sunday Morning Star. 1928-06-10. p. 23.
- "Fay Lamphier Divorced". San Jose News. 1929-03-09. p. 9.
- "Fay Lamphier Weds Schoolmate". The New York Times. 1931-07-22. p. 19.
|This biography article about a United States contestant in a beauty pageant is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography article about a United States model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|