||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
Rawson in 2013
|Birth name||Richard Rawson|
|Also known as||Fazer|
5 February 1987 |
Camden, Greater London, England
Richard Rawson (born 5 February 1987), better known by his former stage name Fazer, is an English rapper, producer, DJ and songwriter. He is popularly known as the member of hip hop trio N-Dubz releasing three studio albums and winning numerous MOBO awards with the group. Rawson has said that whilst growing up his biggest influences were Tupac Shakur, Biggie, Rakim, T.I. and Jay-Z
Rawson was born to a Jamaican mother and an English father, and was brought up in Camden Town, London. Fazer first met Dappy when they started attending the same karate class, becoming best friends at school. They attended Haverstock School, with third member Tulisa Contostavlos (Dappy's cousin) attending the school for a while as well. It was at school that the trio became close friends and formed N-Dubz.
Fazer has been a member of hip hop trio N-Dubz, from the age of 12. They released three platinum selling studio albums and won numerous MOBO awards. N-Dubz released their first album, Uncle B in 2008 followed by Against All Odds and Love.Live.Life in 2009 and 2010, respectively. In 2011 the band announced a two-year hiatus to focus on solo projects. In September 2012 Tulisa confirmed on The X Factor that the group would reform, and later clarified that this would probably not happen until 2014.
Solo career, Sky's the Limit and name change
Fazer was said to have his first single be Marathon (feat. Mr. Hudson). But on 3 March 2012 he was featured on BBC1's show Urban Classics where he performed his version of his sampled song Englishman in New York originally by Sting. After performing his new song he said it would hit the stores soon. About two weeks later a new song was released called Somebody That I Used to Know, another remake of an older song. A fan on Twitter asked Fazer when his solo material would start to come out, Fazer then replied "As soon as the album is completed so hopefully 1st single end of May." Fazer shot a video for his debut single "Killer" on 29 May 2012, released on 26 August 2012. Then he later released 6 foot 8 (freestyle).
In 2013, Rawson and his production partner, Peter Ibsen, both announced the opening of their production company, Sky's The Limit Entertainment (STL). The pair produced songs for Rawson himself, Tulisa's songs from the album, The Female Boss: "Young", Live Your Life, Visa (feat. Wiley) and Magnetic by Jessie J as part of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (soundtrack) and her second studio album, Alive.
On 12 July 2013, Fazer headlined the Yahoo! stage at the Yahoo! Wireless Festival, and performed such songs as Killer, Fireflies, Planetary and many more including an N-Dubz medley. On 10 August 2013, Fazer performed at the BBC Urban Classics Prom alongside Wretch 32 and others. He performed Fireflies and Movie, both to be released from his debut album.
On 5 February 2014, he announced he will not be releasing any of his new music under his stage name 'Fazer' and would now be releasing it under his real name Richard Rawson.
He has said before that his favourite group to collaborate with would be Outlandish. Fazer is a pianist and was seen briefly playing a piano solo in Dappy's song, "No Regrets". He plays the piano when writing songs as seen in Being...N-Dubz.
Fazer is set to be in a BBC3 documentary, called Fazer's Urban Symphony where he brings together 7 young acts and helps them prepare a performance at the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Urban Classics Prom.
Rawson apparently had a crush on Tulisa in school, until he realised that she was Dappy's cousin. The pair were in a relationship from mid-2010 until February 2012, when they broke up during a holiday together, after they fell apart.
In January 2010, police raided Rawson's flat in Chelsea, south-west London, looking for a gun that had been allegedly used in a nearby shooting. They also raided Sensible Studio, where N-Dubz have recorded a large amount of their material but detectives failed to find the weapon and no arrests were made. The same happened to Dappy, about a year earlier after someone had reported to Police that he had been making death threats with a firearm. Fazer was involved in controversy in January 2009 after he and Dappy were hauled off a flight to London, following their "disorderly behaviour".
In January 2013, it was announced he was dating model Ashley Emma, and that she was six months pregnant. On 20 February 2013 their daughter Ava Rose Rawson was born.
On 5 February 2014 Rawson released a video called I'm Richard Rawson. This was done so he could make people aware that his solo career was just starting and he wanted to be known as Richard Rawson.
- Wish I Belonged (feat. BBC Symphony Orchestra, Angel, Tyler James and Stooshe)
- 6foot8 (Freestyle)
- Pound Cake (Freestyle)
- Fireflies (feat. Tom Parker)
|"No Regrets"||2011||Benny Boom||Dappy|||
|"I'm Coming (Tarzan 2)"||2012||Morgan Keyz||Dappy|||
|"6foot8 (Freestyle)"||2013||Richard Rawson||Fazer|||
|"Tarzan 2.5"||2013||Morgan Keyz||Dappy|||
|"Pound Cake Freestyle"||2013||Morgan Keyz||Fazer|||
|"Fireflies (ft. Tom Parker)"||2014||Richard Rawson||Richard Rawson|||
- Harmsworth, Andrei (16 May 2012). "Fazer: Tulisa and I may get back together at some stage in the future". Metro. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Thomas, Holly (29 August 2011). "'I have the best boyfriend': X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos FINALLY opens up about relationship with Fazer". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- ROAR Global – Press Archive. Shalitglobal.com (17 January 2010). Retrieved on 1 December 2010.
- Myspace. Myspace. Retrieved on 1 December 2010.
-  Archived 2 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Tulisa opens up about Fazer split - UTV Entertainment". U.tv. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "The eX Factor! Tulisa and N-Dubz bandmate Fazer break up after 18 months together (but she wastes no time celebrating being single)". Daily Mail (London). 22 January 2012.
- N-Dubz star Fazer's home raided by police looking for a gun. mirror.co.uk. Retrieved on 1 December 2010.
- Balls, David (2 February 2009). "N-Dubz removed from plane by armed police". Digital Spy. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Dappy - No Regrets. TheDappy Vevo/YouTube. Video uploaded on 5 August 2011. Retrieved Wednesday, 12 October 2011.
- "Fazer - Killer". YouTube. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "SB.TV - Dappy - Tarzan 2 (I'm Coming) [Music Video". YouTube. 7 July 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- LeeNDubzNy (4 June 2014). "6foot8 (Freestyle) - Fazer". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Dappy - Tarzan 2.5 (Versace Remix) [Music Video]: SBTV". YouTube. 24 August 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Fazer | Pound Cake Freestyle [Music Video]: SBTV". YouTube. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Richard Rawson feat. Tom Parker - Fireflies (Official Video)". YouTube. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.