|A. M. Fazil|
Alleppey, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
|Years active||1980 – present|
|Relatives||Nazriya Nazim (daughter-in-law)|
A. M. Fazil (Malayalam: ഫാസിൽ; born 1953 in Alleppey, Kerala) is an Indian film director, producer, and screenwriter best known for his work in Malayalam cinema. He made his directional debut with the 1980 film Manjil Virinja Pookkal. His popular films include Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku (1983), Nokkethadhoorathu Kannum Nattu (1984), Poovinu Puthiya Poonthennal (1986), Manivathoorile Aayiram Sivarathrikal (1987), Ente Sooryaputhrikku (1991), Pappayude Swantham Appoos (1992), Manichitrathazhu (1993), Aniyathipraavu (1997) and Harikrishnans (1998). His 1993 film Manichitrathazhu won the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.
His father wanted him to be a doctor, but in school and college, extra curricular activities dominated his time. He wrote plays and staged them with his friends; Nedumudi Venu was his college mate while he was in S.D. College Alleppey, and this group was perhaps the first mimicry team that entertained crowds. "I used to mimic stars like Sathyan,Prem Nasir, Sivaji Ganesan and Govindankutty." He completed his post-graduation in economics.
Since the early 1990s Fazil has directed 31 movies. His freshman film was Malayalam filmdom with Manjil Virinja Pookkal, produced by Navodaya Appachan which was also Mohanlal's first movie. Fazil has a knack for spotting talent. He introduced some of the biggest names in films in south India: Mohanlal in Manjil Virinja Pookkal, Nadia Moidu in Nokkethadhoorathu Kannum Nattu, Baby Shalini in Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku, and Kunchacko Boban, all had their first acting stints under Fazil's direction. Nagma was introduced to the south in Fazil's Killer (Telugu) while Khushboo started her southbound journey with his Varusham 16. Fazil has been noted for his subtle style of directing and many of his films have been critically lauded.
With numerous Malayalam films, as well as several Tamil films and one Telugu film, Fazil has managed to win the most number of State awards for the best film with popular appeal and aesthetic value.
Fazil is married to Rosina. The couple have two sons, Fahadh Faasil and Farhaan Faasil and two daughters, Ahameda and Fathima. His son Fahadh Faasil is a well-known actor in Malayalam cinema. Fahadh is married to Nazriya Nazim, an actress in Malayalam and Tamil industry.
|2004||Vismayathumbathu||Malayalam||Mohanlal, Nayantara, Mukesh|
|2003||Chronic Bachelor||Malayalam||Mammootty, Rambha, Mukesh, Bhavana|
|1997||Chandralekha||Malayalam||Mohanlal, Sukanya, Pooja Batra|
|1995||No. 1 Snehatheeram Banglore North||Malayalam||Mammootty, Priya Raman|
|1989||Ramji Rao Speaking||Malayalam||Mukesh, Sai Kumar, Innocent|
- 1993 – National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for Manichitrathazhu
- 1993: Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value – Manichithrathazhu
- 1986: Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value – Ennennum Kannettante
- 1984: Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value – Nokketha Dhoorathu Kannum Nattu
- 1983: Best Film – Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku
- 1983: Best Director – Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku
- 1980: Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value – Manjil Virinja Pookkal
- List of Malayalam films from 1976 to 1980
- List of Malayalam films from 1981 to 1985
- List of Malayalam films from 1986 to 1990
- List of Malayalam films from 1991 to 1995
- List of Malayalam films from 1996 to 2000
- "Malayalam Actor Fahad Fazil (Fahadh Faasil) Family Pics - MERE PIX". merepix.com. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Prema Manmadhan (23 December 2005). "His experiments with cinema". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "Kerala State Film Awards: 1993". Kerala State Chalachitra Academy. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "State Film Awards: 1969 – 2008". Information and Public Relations Department of Kerala. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- Collections. Update Video Publication. 1991. Retrieved 14 December 2014.